BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

RED 5.4 performance

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve PankowRED 5.4 performance
by on Dec 28, 2013 at 7:31:27 pm

Running 5.4 on OSX 10.6.8 dual 2.4 GHz quad core w/10GB RAM and a ATI Radeon 5770. Performance seems pretty pokey with large font extrusions, even in Draft/Quarter view. RED preferences are default, with 500MB RAM previews, multi-processor on, but OpenGL off. Getting a lot of beachballing waiting for things to update, or failing to update without constantly hitting Refresh.

Any tips for getting this setup to work faster?

Return to posts index

Jon KozenkoRe: RED 5.4 performance
by on Dec 30, 2013 at 4:43:37 pm

Steve,

Interestingly enough, one of the things that the OpenGL will help with most is the preview of Extruded objects, such as text. Your Graphics Card is a strong one, so enabling OpenGL, preferably Max Caching, should not result in any problems and should speed things up. Also, you can try disabling either 'Better Quality Field Rendering' or '1:2:1 Deflickering', but these will sometimes help the image quality when enabled. As such, try toggling these two (primarily Better Quality Field Rendering) and see if this speeds things up, perhaps without causing any lower-end renders to take place.

Thanks,

Jon

Return to posts index

Steve PankowRe: RED 5.4 performance
by on Dec 30, 2013 at 5:37:21 pm

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply. Are you saying Field Rendering and 1:2:1 impact preview speed while working on a comp, or speed up the final render? I'm not worried about the latter, but I'm finding just working in a project often feels sluggish compared to my ancient dual core XW8000 with Nvidia 980.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 31, 2013 at 12:08:34 am

Now I'm finding that RED hung when it attempted to render my 4 second comp. Force quitting and then attempting to reopen only causes RED to crash. I really didn't think this was pushing the system too hard, but now I have no idea. Here's a link to the .red file:

6941_pedestal0130fps.red.zip

And the problem report:

6942_problemreport.rtf.zip

Return to posts index

Jon KozenkoRe: RED 5.4 performance
by on Dec 31, 2013 at 7:00:29 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the RED Project and the Crash report. I opened it up on two systems and found that RED crashed when opening the project itself. Note that this was even the Stand-Alone version of However, I was able to trace the problem to the display by enabling the Caps Lock before opening the Project File or Interface. This suspends the image from drawing, and allows me not only to open the project but alter it.

To allow the project to fully open, I set the Preview Quality from 'Best' to 'Draft' and Preview Resolution from 'Full' to 'Quarter'. Then, when I released Caps Lock, I was actually able to change these back to 'Best' and 'Full' without RED crashing again; this seems to be exclusive to when RED first opens the file.

Hopefully this should help.

Thanks,

Jon

Return to posts index

by on Jan 1, 2014 at 1:13:45 am

Got it. We use 5.4 as standalone only and 5.1.5 as both standalone and FCP plugin as I guess there's some sort of compatibility problem with 5.4/FCP7/10.6.8 that BorisFX identified. I've been having odd behavior all day with random crashes on other 5.4 projects, but I'll try and remember Caps Lock before doing anything first. Any chance this is a bug that will be patched up in the future?

Happy New Year

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]