BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Avid FX parameters input black/output black & input white/output white: adjustments use knee to roll off up to the limits???

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael McCuneAvid FX parameters input black/output black & input white/output white: adjustments use knee to roll off up to the limits???
by on Dec 27, 2013 at 5:23:17 am

An acquaintance and I have different understandings of the character of the signal curve created by these input/output settings compared to, say, Avid's built-in color black level and gain settings.

I believe the input/output white/black method is more pleasing because, along with the precision allowed by numeric controls, there is a roll-off (knee) as the levels approach the limits. Right?

Such a roll-off would, I guess, involve the input/output white settings and probably also the gamma curve, together yielding a resultant curve.

Please clarify the actual characteristics of the signal as it approaches these limits: hard cut or (knee type) roll off ???

True, one might try (but with less precision, certainly) to use Avid's internal color curves, in those tiny little graph boxes, try to achieve this graduated, rolled-off curve. And one can use the Avid color black level and gain settings to approximate the input black and input white settings.

But these internal Avid color controls are more like hard limits, not roll-offs or knees. Right?

The idea is, if I am correct, that the output white level is calculated and tailored, bezier-like--not cut off--in its approach the input white level.

Right???

Yours,
Mike M

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]