BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Alpha channel supported video in AVID FX

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert MartindaleAlpha channel supported video in AVID FX
by on Dec 7, 2013 at 5:51:01 pm

Can someone please point me to the correct method to create video that is imported correctly with an alpha into AVID FX? I'm on the PC side so it has to be either MPEG or AVI.

The problem I'm having is that, while AVID is seeing a QT with alpha and making it into a title matte, when that video track is opened in AVID FX, it has no alpha. So, I think, in that case, I have to convert the file to a format AVID FX likes with an alpha. So far, no luck.

OR...is there a workflow step I'm missing? That would be nice.

Thanks all.

Return to posts index

Jon KozenkoRe: Alpha channel supported video in AVID FX
by on Dec 10, 2013 at 12:03:18 am

Where is the video coming from originally? I ask because I exported an Alpha-based AVI out of After Effects without any problem (that AvidFX understood without any problem); the only things I had to do was set the Channel to 'RGB + Alpha' and depth to 'Millions of Colors +', neither of which were the default export options for AVI. Wherever the export is coming from, there should be similar options in the main AVI export.

Hope this helps.

Jon

Return to posts index

Robert MartindaleRe: Alpha channel supported video in AVID FX
by on Dec 10, 2013 at 12:48:45 am

I will try AE but please note that two very common encoders, Sorenson Squeeze, bundled with AVID, and Adobe Media Encoder, do not appear to have these options. The idea is to get AWAY from using AE.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 10, 2013 at 1:34:44 pm

AE worked. But what is the answer for those who don't have AE? And are you just a little embarrassed to refer people to AE to get a correct file for FX? BTW, this has turned into a discussion on the AVID forums as well.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/119593.aspx?PageIndex=1

Return to posts index

Jon KozenkoRe: Alpha channel supported video in AVID FX
by on Dec 10, 2013 at 4:56:52 pm
Last Edited By Jon Kozenko on Dec 10, 2013 at 4:58:02 pm

Robert,

If the clip with the Alpha is already in the Avid Timeline, you can apply AvidFX as a Title Matte; this will bring in the layer with the Alpha Channel already recognized, no export necessary, and it should also recognize any background video tracks in the Timeline below.

Thanks,
Jon

Return to posts index

by on Dec 11, 2013 at 4:34:54 am

Tell you what...I'm moving to the AVID PC Media Composer forum. I think your method is addressed there.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 13, 2013 at 12:49:49 pm

Here is a possible answer. It doesn't require AE or anything other than what comes with MC:

Open QT with alpha file in AVID FX through MC using FX title matte effect.

Open FX GUI, delete second video track, export clip as AVI using defaults which has alpha. Pretty quick export, it seems.

Bring it back in to AVID FX as AVI, now with alpha.

Now all clips are AVI and all limits, either as to file format or standalone/tied to MC are solved.

This is working for me. Please check it out and report back.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]