BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Stretch filter RED

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Renton Maclachlan
Stretch filter RED
on Nov 25, 2013 at 9:18:01 am

I want to convey the idea of a person being under tension because of them being pulled in opposite directions by reality on one hand, and their distorted ideas of reality on the other.

I thought I would show a persons head and stretch it left and right from a vertical line through the middle area of the head. The head would distort as they were torn between reality and their distorted ideas about it.

So that is what I would like to achieve. Is there a filter in Boris Red that will allow me to produce this effect?

Return to posts index

Jon Kozenko
Re: Stretch filter RED
on Nov 25, 2013 at 8:12:06 pm

Renton,

I'm not exactly sure how the final image is meant to look (primarily, will both Reality and his Perceived Reality be on screen at the same time?), but I would recommend using the 'FEC Smear' filter with the PixelChooser enabled. It might also be good, if possible, to key/spline the talent/head so that they are surrounded by Alpha, but the Smear effect would still work without this; with or without Alpha, the FEC Smear effect would be the most direct route.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jon

Return to posts index

Renton Maclachlan
on Nov 26, 2013 at 2:14:43 am

Thanks Jon.

I'm not quite sure what I want the finished thing to look like either, but yes both reality and perceived reality (actually reality verses philosophy) will be on at the same time, in words on either side of the head, perhaps with arrows pointing opposite directions...which move left and right as the head stretches left and right. The effect re the head I think I'm after is the head stretching horizontally - more so through the nose and less out at the ears - showing a clear distortion.

Yes, the head I think would want to have alpha around it so I can choose my background.

Where is the FEC Smear effect? I'm quite new to RED though have used a few things in it.

All the best

Renton

Return to posts index

Jon Kozenko
on Nov 26, 2013 at 7:26:50 pm

Renton,

Under the Filters menu, it's in category called 'FEC Effects'. Note also that the effect, by default, will not create any effect. Instead, you will need to set-up a 'From' and 'To' set of X-Y values, and smear using the 'Completion' parameter. At first this might appear like a cartoonish smear, but if you expand the Radius somewhat, the smear looks a lot better I've found.

Thanks.

Jon

Return to posts index

Renton Maclachlan
on Nov 30, 2013 at 4:26:21 am

Hmmm. I must be doing something (or many things wrong) as I can't get any effect at all. I found the FEC smear and have played around with the parameters but nothing...and it doesn't feature in the RED guide so I can't get help there.

I'm playing around in the stand-alone version rather than in the Vegas plug in...

Return to posts index

Renton Maclachlan
on Dec 1, 2013 at 4:22:05 am

Hmmm...I don't know what I did but I have the effects working now...

Return to posts index

Renton Maclachlan
on Dec 26, 2013 at 1:33:05 am

Jon...The smear filter potentially could do the sort of distortion I would like, only I want to distort way from a line...on both sides, as opposed to away from a point on one side. Any other suggestions?

Return to posts index

Renton Maclachlan
on Dec 26, 2013 at 3:18:55 am

The 'spherize' filter in Photoshop, if set to horizontal, can more or less achieve the effect I'm after for individual photos/frames. Can this be done in RED?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]