BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC Match Move Unit in Sony Vegas Pro 12. Error: "Look Ahead Exceeded"?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dale McClelland
BCC Match Move Unit in Sony Vegas Pro 12. Error: "Look Ahead Exceeded"?
on Nov 1, 2013 at 4:48:02 am

I am trying the BCC Match Move Unit 14-day trial in Sony Vegas Pro 12 64-bit. So far, I have only tried it on very short video events/clips: 6 to 8 seconds in length. The clips are 1080p AVCHD. When doing the on-the-fly tracking step, I often get the following error message:

Look Ahead Exceeded. Please rewind to frame xxx of your clip, and click the Clear Host Cache checkbox if needed to force "reender"

(I'm not sure what "reender" is. Maybe it meant to say re-render?)

The "xxx" for frame number in the error message varies. I have received this error on Witness Protection and Corner Pin. I don't remember if I received it on Match Move or not. I have moved the "Look Ahead Frames" slider 100, the maximum, but I still get the error several seconds into the on-the-fly tracking.

This doesn't bode well for using these tools on longer events. But I am sure that they can work on longer events because the John Rofrano video tutorials on Borisfx.com that show how to use these tools in Vegas Pro use events longer than 6-8 seconds (one is about 15 seconds as I recall).

Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do to avoid this error? Is there a limit on the length of an event/clip that can be used with these tools?

EDIT: I just read on the CC Vegas forum that this error can occur if the event is not at the beginning of the timeline. Mine is exactly at the beginning of the only video track in the project. So that seems to eliminate that possible cause of the error.

Return to posts index

Jon Kozenko
Re: BCC Match Move Unit in Sony Vegas Pro 12. Error: "Look Ahead Exceeded"?
on Nov 4, 2013 at 4:20:08 pm

Dale,

Is the clip that you're adding to the Vegas timeline a complete clip, or is there material in the master clip that's ahead of the start of the clip in the timeline? If you're only putting a portion of the clip onto the timeline, try placing the entire master clip onto the Vegas timeline, or at least a portion of the clip that contains the first frame of the master.

If this doesn't work, try closing Vegas and refreshing the Vegas cache, which can be found here -
C:Users[username]AppDataLocalSonyVegas Pro

The folder you'll be looking for is 12.0 - just move this folder out of this directory and re-launch.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jon

Return to posts index

Dale McClelland
on Nov 4, 2013 at 6:52:02 pm

Jon, thanks for the reply. The clips I have tried are the full master clip in the timeline.

I moved the 12.0 folder out of the parent folder while Vegas was closed as you suggested (to a different hard drive in fact), but still get the error part way into the tracking on the fly. With the Look Ahead slider at the maximum of 100 frames, I can typically get 175 to 250 frames into the clip before the error message pops up.
I can do what the error message suggests and rewind to the xxx frame, clear render cache, at start tracking again from that point. Usually that completes the tracking with out error on a 6-8 second clip.

That's not too bad a process when rewinding only once, but I am concerned about trying to track a longer clip. It could become time-consuming to do several iterations of the "rewind to frame xxx and track from there" process. I don't think I will buy the product if I can't resolve this problem.

Unless you have some other suggestions, I will contact Boris tech support about the problem. Hopefully they will try to help even though I am using the trial version.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Dale

Return to posts index

Jon Kozenko
on Nov 4, 2013 at 10:22:28 pm

Dale,

Generally this error would mean that the CTI/Playhead is further along the clip than the Motion Tracker has been able to analyze. The most direct way to cause this would be to quickly scrub forward after you've enabled 'Track on the Fly' - try stepping through or playing the timeline. If this does not help, try lowering the preview resolution and playing again.

When the error comes up, you should just need to move the CTI/Playhead back to a point that does not show this error, and Play again.

If this does not work, you can send an email to my attention to support@borisfx.com.

Thanks,

Jon

Return to posts index

Dale McClelland
on Nov 5, 2013 at 7:11:56 pm

Thanks again Jon (didn't realize that you work for Boris.) Your scrubbing suggestion definitely helped because I could scrub slowly enough to keep the video from advancing faster than the FX could track.

But then I discovered the real problem. I was invoking Vegas's "Build RAM Preview" incorrectly. I was using CNTL-B, then clicking Play, which played the video at full real-time speed (and wasn't really building a RAM preview because SHIFT-B is the correct command is SHIFT-B, not CNTL-B). Tracking at real-time speed caused the playback to get too far ahead of the tracking and resulted in the error message.

Once I discovered how to invoke "Build RAM Preview" correctly, I found that the RAM preview proceeds much slower than real-time, and is slow enough for the tracking to keep up. I no longer get the error.

So it turns out that it was my lack of understanding of how to use a Vegas feature that was the problem. The key to my being able to figure it out was your explanation that the error occurs when playback advances faster than the tracking can keep up with was. Thanks for explaining that. Understanding what was happening was a big help.

I now plan to purchase a license for the Match Move Unit (or maybe the entire BCC Complete).

Return to posts index

Jon Kozenko
on Nov 6, 2013 at 4:15:37 pm

Dale,

That is outstanding news and thanks for letting me know that you have resolved the situation. If anything comes up, you can contact me, and if you'd like, I can have someone from Sales contact you about purchase.

Thanks,

Jon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]