BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Organizing too many Spline Tracks from imported EPS doc

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maxwell FedermanOrganizing too many Spline Tracks from imported EPS doc
by on Aug 20, 2013 at 3:09:12 am

Just imported an eps file into RED 5, set the track shape to 3D line art and then selected convert to container.

As expected, I can now see all the layers as spline tracks.

And it appears that instead of preserving the layers from Illustrator, RED has this time around gone a step further and created a spline track for each individual element within a given layer. More specifically, two of the layers in Illustrator are words, and now there's a spline track for each letter.

For me personally, the RED UI is a more familiar place to be than Illustrator. So here's my question-- can I make nested containers? I tried to create a second 3D container inside the one created after changing the track shape, selected a words worth of spline tracks (all of the letters of a word) then cut and pasted these tracks into a second container. The issue is that now the stuff pasted in the second container is nowhere to be found. What might I be overlooking here? I really don't want to have to go back into Illustrator-- not a big fan of adobe products

Maxwell Federman

Capitol City Media
Austin, TX USA

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Organizing too many Spline Tracks from imported EPS doc
by on Aug 23, 2013 at 3:12:36 pm

Hi Max,

The only thing that can exist in the Path track of a Spline Track is a Spline Object so you can't add Containers to nest the splines. There are two options available (that I know of) to properly nest the shapes:

• select the

• duplicate the master spline path track that contains all of the spline object sub-tracks from your EPS file - make a copy of the track for each of the groups that you want to create (for instance, if the imported EPS was of the letters ABC, then you should have 3 identical copies of the spline track
• twirl open the spline tracks to reveal the spline objects that are nested under the path track
• delete the spline object sub-tracks from each spline track so that each master spline track has only the spline objects for each letter and no duplicates
• you can then nest all of the spline tracks into a 3d container

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved