BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Light House Effect

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
peter toursLight House Effect
by on Aug 15, 2013 at 7:30:15 pm

The vision I have is a wedge ray of light emanating from a lighthouse that rotates and the light wipes the screen as a transition...anyone ever done that? Looking for ideas. Thanks!

Peter Tours
TnT Video Services, Inc.
Fort Lauderdale, FL

TRI EA5 1974-1977
Convergence ECS1B 1977-1979
Sony BVE 500 1979 - 1984
Datatron Vanguard 1984 - 1993
GVG VPE141 1993 - 1998
Media 100 1995 - 2006
Final Cut Pro 2005 to not too much longer
Adobe Creative Cloud

Return to posts index

Jon KozenkoRe: Light House Effect
by on Aug 20, 2013 at 4:54:50 pm

I was able to create a similar effect using the BCC Spotlight and a few Constant variables in Boris RED. First, I set the Light Source X and Y to Constant and set them towards the middle of the screen (you can put this center point onto a lighthouse in an image), and also set the Target Y to Constant, at a point 40 pixels above (so a lower number) the Source Y. This way the light, when behind/in front of the Lighthouse, is still visible. Then, I set the Light Elevation to 1.0, and set this to Constant (setting it to 0.0 makes it black).

Then, the final change was I changed the Target X to Keyframe so that it would move back and forth. You can even position the Target X so that it moves far away Light Source X, resulting in a more consistent light levels, and I found that the default Light Cone Width is perfect for this effect.

If you'd like I can send you a copy of the .red file I made with this effect - it's just the light over a black Color. Hope this helps you get started with this look. If you want the project, send me an email at

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved