BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris Red 5.3 Tutorial #3

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dionne SwanBoris Red 5.3 Tutorial #3
by on Jul 19, 2013 at 6:24:23 am

I am working through tutorials contained in the Boris Red User Guide under Help, to learn Boris Red 5. I'm currently on the 3rd tutorial at the steps below. The problem is the Alpha in the Bullseye file doesn't seem to be recognized (the Gradient track just shows as normal as if the mask isn't present). Since .pcts can not be imported in Red 64-bit on macs, I converted it to a .png and verified the mask works fine in Photoshop. I just can't figure out why it won't work in Red. Any ideas?

Steps from Tutorial #3
5. "Click the disclosure triangles to expand the Gradient track. Expand the Face track nested inside to reveal its Mask track.

6. Drag the Bullseye.pct track into the Face track’s Mask track. You may have to scroll down.
The Composite window displays the Gradient track masked by the bullseye shape.

Macbook Pro 15"
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024MB

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Boris Red 5.3 Tutorial #3
by on Jul 19, 2013 at 9:14:59 pm

Hi Dionne,

Try this:

• twirl open the Bullseye track to reveal the face for this track
• click on the Face track
• look in the control panel ... there's a pop-up labelled "Key" - set this to something other than "No Alpha"

Please let me know if this solves the problem.

Return to posts index

Dionne SwanRe: Boris Red 5.3 Tutorial #3
by on Jul 20, 2013 at 5:20:50 am

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the files but I can't imagine what. I have a couple of .png files from someone else that I just tried and it worked using the directions you provided. I then tried another file from the tutorial, first saving it as a .png and it didn't work either. Scratching my head on this one.

Return to posts index

Dionne SwanRe: Boris Red 5.3 Tutorial #3
by on Jul 20, 2013 at 5:50:03 am

It turned out to be a two part issue. Since the .pcts can't be imported, when I saved the tutorial files as a different file type I had to be sure the Alpha channel was saved, which I assumed was automatically done with .png file types, but turns out that wasn't the case. Second issue was what you pointed out above, with just starting to learn Red I didn't know to check the control panel after clicking the face track, so thank you much for pointing that out.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved