BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Pixelated Shadows in Avid FX

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel SkrobowskiPixelated Shadows in Avid FX
by on Apr 10, 2013 at 4:49:55 am

Hi, I am an Avid FX user, and I am experiencing some trouble achieving a professional look on some projects.

Here is the issue: In Avid FX, shadows of 3D text cast by a 3D container light look pixelated and grainy.

Here is an explanation: I have a "world" set up with a 3D cube with solid colors as the sides and a 3D text layer inside of the cube. The 3D text is against the back side of the cube (to imitate text against a wall, or something like that). I am using an orbit camera to view the world. When I turn the "shadows" feature on for the 3D container that everything is in, the shadows look grainy and pixelated, even when I export the video with high quality settings.

Here is a render of the sample project. You may have to pause the video to see the pixilation.

Pixelated shadows in Avid FX

Could this issue be related to 8 bit-depth color setting that this project is on?

If anybody has any advice that they can share related to this issue...I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Jon KozenkoRe: Pixelated Shadows in Avid FX
by on Apr 10, 2013 at 4:39:23 pm

Thanks for including the movie - when looking at it frame-by-frame I see clearly the pixelation that you are referring to. If you create this in AvidFX running stand-alone, does it cause the same problem? What I might recommend is to go into the Project Settings (under Edit) and toggle these two checkboxes: '1:2:1 Deflickering' and 'Better Quality Field Rendering'.

Do you think you can send me a copy of the AvidFX project file? You can send it to Jon at, and from there I can work with some individuals in trying to enhance the shadow appearance.

Return to posts index

Daniel SkrobowskiRe: Pixelated Shadows in Avid FX
by on Apr 10, 2013 at 11:42:35 pm

Hello Jon, thank you for your prompt reply.

That video was made with Avid FX running as a standalone application.

I tried turning on "1:2:1 de-flickering" and better quality field rendering. Changing these settings did not appear to better the issue.

Here is the sample project file for the video with the pixelated shadows in it. Sample project file

Any help that I can get concerning this issue is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Daniel SkrobowskiRe: Pixelated Shadows in Avid FX
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 12:00:26 am

...thanks to Jon from Boris FX for the help in finding the solution to the pixelated shadow problem....

The main tip was to increase the "[shadow] map resolution" parameter within the 3D container's shadow tab.

For my video specifically, another tip was to reposition the light (perhaps pulling it farther away from the letters) and increase its intensity because of the odd shadows that the light was casting onto the 3D cube.

Thanks again for the help....

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved