BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Filter to improve zoom quality degradation...

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Silva
Filter to improve zoom quality degradation...
on Feb 26, 2013 at 5:26:54 pm

Hi,

I edited in Vegas an interview, being the original footage and the rendered project as 720p. Sometimes, I used zoom through Vegas (event pan/crop) to framing closer the interview head. It is noticeable that when zooming there are quality loss and degradation of the footage. Is there any filter in Boris Red5 that could minimize such quality loss?

Thanks,
Cadu

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Filter to improve zoom quality degradation...
on Feb 26, 2013 at 8:45:53 pm

Hi,

I would suggest using the BCC Unsharp Mask filter. You may have to experiment with the filter parameter settings to enhance the result of the zoom without over sharpening but this filter should really improve the image transform result.

Hope this helps,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Feb 26, 2013 at 10:34:21 pm

Thanks Peter!
To explore (and learn) more about Boris resources, do you think the "UpRez" filter could be used in this case. If yes, is it supposed to delivery better results than the "unsharp mask"?
I would set the "source" to 1280x720 (=original footage). Instead of making the zoom through Vegas (pan/crop) I would use the "transform" to scale and position the image. As method, the "magic sharp" seems to be the more advance one, isn't it?
Cheers,
Carlos

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Feb 26, 2013 at 11:08:30 pm

Hey Carlos,

Funny ... my first thought was that you might use UpRez so that you could take advantage of the Magic Sharp algorithm but I thought you might have an easier time with the Unsharp Mask filter, which is why I mentioned it.

I'd suggest giving BCC UpRez a shot and see how that goes - it may be that the end result will indeed be better if you choose that route but it's hard to tell without seeing the image. PLease keep in mind that this is of course a subjective thing and some images will naturally lend themselves to a more pleasing result with one method over the other.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

David Rehm
on Mar 5, 2013 at 4:08:40 am

For future projects here's a nice "trick" to do to help you immensely in your zooming in post: Record your footage in 1080p and then nest that footage in a 720p comp. Scale it down to fit the 720 comp (in Premiere Pro it's around 67% - Vegas might be different). Now you can zoom in all the way to 100% (and even a little after that).

I personally would give my subject a little extra room when framing him in the shot because you can always zoom in in post without loss of quality and this way you can get that perfect frame.

David

Return to posts index

Jp Shaggy
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:06:51 pm

Hey David. I was just wondering if you could take a minute and tell me exactly how to do this.

I recorded footage with a gopro. want to zoom in on face
it gets grainy/pixelated.

I'm not sure how to drop my res to 720 and nest it as you said.

I'm truly hoping you find this email and are willing to take the time to respond. I'm fairly despondent after I did all my zoom in's...and rendered. Just to find it a little too messy.

If you don't answer I'm going to have to find a way to make this "indy" and act like I meant it...
sigh.

this is my email if you'd like to reply to that and I'll get it right in my inbox.

jpshaggy@gmail.com

Don't be scared. I am a real person. that's also my name on FB if you wanna check just to be certain.

Return to posts index

James Macon
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:46:17 pm
Last Edited By James Macon on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:36:07 pm

Hi JP-
I think what David is getting at is to make a new composition with a resolution of 720 and import your 1080 GoPro footage to that comp.

You'll have to scale down your footage to get it to fit in the comp so once the footage is in zoom out on the comp and select the clip so its bounding box appears, hold the shift key and resize the footage to fit the comp.

Alternatively, you can right click on the clip and select the Scale option in the Transform menu. Reducing the size to 67% will get you close enough, 720p being 2/3 the size of a 1080p shot.

In the end you'll have the 1080 resolution in a 720 frame giving you the room to zoom on the face without loosing quality.

I'll shoot this to you in an email as well.

James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]