BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

RED5 with MOVs & MP4s from VideoBlocks.com?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaeson KoszarskyRED5 with MOVs & MP4s from VideoBlocks.com?
by on Feb 18, 2013 at 9:05:01 pm

I'm using RED5 with Media100 Suite2 12-core Mac Pro with 12GB & OSX10.7.5.

When I download videos from VideoBlocks.com and try to use them in RED5, they are freeze-framed. They play fine with the QuickTime player and other apps. Why doesn't RED5 like them?

Jaeson

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: RED5 with MOVs & MP4s from VideoBlocks.com?
by on Feb 22, 2013 at 3:54:30 pm

Hi Jaeson,

Can you please prove me with more details on the clip that you are using? Is it a QT or an AVI file? Also, you mention that this clip plays as expected in Quicktime player but that it's static in RED 5. Does that only happen with these media files or with any media file? If it's the latter then this is a simple setting in RED. Launch RED and from the menu bar that runs along the top of the screen, select Preview>Image ... you should have Update Source selected from this menu ... if this is not checked then RED cannot update the clip as you move frame to frame. Make sure that this is enabled.

I hope this helps,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: RED5 with MOVs & MP4s from VideoBlocks.com?
by on Feb 22, 2013 at 4:40:54 pm

Preview/Image/Update Source is selected.

The RED "freeze" happens with MOV & MP4 files from VideoBlocks.com. It's not just when in RED but also after exiting and rendering in M100. We have two M100 systems and the same thing happens on both.

M100 will import both VideoBlocks MOV & MP4 files into the BIN correctly. QuickTime plays them fine too.

If I process the VideoBlocks files through Sorenson Squeeze 8.5 then RED5 will work correctly with Squeeze's MOVs.

The most recent one I tried was an SD animation in a M100 HD1080i project.

VideoBlocks vbsd0873_ntsc.MOV:
VideoBlocks vbsd0873_ntsc.MP4:
H.264, 720 × 486, Millions, 29.97fps

I also tried using that same VB animation file in a different SD project with the same "freeze" results.

RED5 doesn't mind exported M100 H264 files. There's something about VideoBlocks files that RED5 doesn't like. I have had this "freeze" experience on very rare occasions with files with receive from other place but I don't remember offhand where we got them or what codecs they used. As I said it was a rare thing. But VideoBlocks seems more consistently problematic for us & RED5.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 22, 2013 at 6:36:38 pm

Would it be possible for you to provide us with a .mov file and a RED project so that we can take a look at it in house?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: RED5 with MOVs & MP4s from VideoBlocks.com?
by on Feb 22, 2013 at 7:05:21 pm

Where should I send it?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 22, 2013 at 8:02:44 pm

Okay ... we'll take this off-line from here. Here's my direct mail ... peterm@borisfx.com. There's a very small file size limit on our email though so don't send it there, just send me an email and I'll have one of the support guys provide you with a dropbox.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]