BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Use of BCC Particle Array 3D

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Skrobowski
Use of BCC Particle Array 3D
on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:20:50 am

Hello,

I use Boris RED 5, and I am trying to figure out how to achieve a certain look using BCC Particle Array 3D.
In the plugin's user guide, there is a picture showing what you can do with it.

Here is the picture.

I don't know how to do this. It wasn't explained in the user guide. How can one cause Particle Array 3D to take the form of 3D text or other 3D objects while making those objects manipulable from within Particle Array 3D's effect parameters?

All tips are appreciated.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Use of BCC Particle Array 3D
on Feb 13, 2013 at 4:48:57 pm

Hi Daniel,

The person best positioned to provide you with tips on this would be Dirk de Jong, who created the actual image that you are referencing in this doc file. I'll ask him to get in touch with you.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Daniel Skrobowski
on Feb 13, 2013 at 5:43:06 pm

Thanks Peter. That would be great!

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Feb 13, 2013 at 6:55:39 pm

you want to be using the feature called "Control Maps" - here is a screencap movie with voiceover showing the basics ;

http://www.borisfxresources.com/CreativeCowForum/ParticleArrayControlMaps/P...

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Feb 13, 2013 at 7:22:48 pm

I uploaded the AE CS5 project file from that movie here ;

http://f1.creativecow.net/5447/bcc-particle-array-control-maps-demo-ae-cs5-...

Return to posts index

Daniel Skrobowski
on Feb 14, 2013 at 3:53:49 am

Hello Dirk,

Thanks for the great video. It was informative. That is a really cool way to use that effect. I appreciate you taking the time to explain...and the quick reply.

I should have mentioned that I am using Boris RED 5 as my environment. So, I'm not sure if I will be able to use the project file, but I'm sure somebody else will be able to.

I was able to replicate what you did in the video except for directly manipulating the graphs for the control maps. I did not see where I could use that feature in RED.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Kirk Pitts
on Feb 18, 2013 at 11:03:11 pm

I think it is great that you responded to the request in such an informative way. That's great. I have a question. How much different should this work in FCP 7? The control map just doesn't seem to respond the same way. I don't get clear sets of letters. I tried increaseing the number of spheres but I'm missing something. Should this work the same in FCP 7?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Skrobowski
on Feb 19, 2013 at 1:47:18 am

Hey Kirk...just a thought.... When I was experimenting with this technique, I found that the array, when an opacity control map with text as the filter track was applied to it, was very dark and was not showing up/conforming to the text correctly. It was because the control map was set to look at the XY Luma of the text track. Change the control map so that it looks at the XY Alpha or XY Alpha Inverse instead, and see what happens.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]