3d animation in Avid FX/Boris RED

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeppe Svendsen
3d animation in Avid FX/Boris RED
on Dec 14, 2012 at 10:27:14 pm

Hello

I am trying to recreate what is being done in this presentation of Avid FX:

The presentation don't go in to all the details and I have some problems.

My first problem is to get the 3d text and 3d ring as shiny as they are in the video. In the video it seems almost like the surface reflects the surroundings and it gives it a really cool metal look.
I have played around with the Shininess and Reflectivity sliders but without a good result.
I have also tried the button called Create Reflection Map - no result.

My second problem is that I can't get the 3d objects to interact with each other like they do in the video.
In the video the ring is spinning around the name. In my project either the ring or the name is in front of the other. The object in the top most layer goes in front of the other.

So my questions are:

How do I make the 3d objects as shiny/reflective as they are in the video?

How do I make the ring spin around the name?

Cheers,
Jeppe

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: 3d animation in Avid FX/Boris RED
on Dec 17, 2012 at 8:11:04 pm

Hi Jeppe,

So ... without actually seeing your file, I'm not quite sure where you went wrong but here are some pointers that may help:

• In order to have objects that interact in 3D, you need to place them into a 3D Container and the render option for the container must be set to 3D Model.

• You have complete control over each object in the container and all objects in the container can interact - this is how you make the ring spin around the name ... both the ring and the name are in the same 3D Container. You can also animate the position of the 3D Container and move all objects in the Container as a single unit.

• The reflectivity for each object is set using each individual objects material properties. To change it, select the object from within the 3D Container and click on the Materials tab in the Control panel. Then set the Specular to 40, Shininess to 100 and Reflectivity to 15 and set the Diffuse parameter to about 60 and Ambient to 40.

• You can also use the reflection map feature - this is set on each individual object within the 3D container. Select the object, click on the Reflection Map button and twirl open the object to reveal the sub-track titled Environment map. Set the media in this sub-track to the reflected source map - you can use any still image file or video clip, perhaps a sunset shot or something with a clear horizon/sky.

• Select the 3D Container and go to the lights tab - set the lights to either Spot or Point. Intensity at about 150 - but you should lower that if you enable more than 1 light

I hope this helps,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jeppe Svendsen
on Dec 17, 2012 at 9:28:37 pm

Peter Mcauley you must be the coolest man on earth! Why don't you make an advanced series of video tutorials on Avid FX? This piece of software has so much potential but it is so hard to find really good tutorials out there that will cover more than just the basics...

I'm looking forward to try this out! I'll get back to you.

THANKS!

Jeppe

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Dec 18, 2012 at 3:27:10 pm

Wow ... that was a really nice comment. Thanks!

We're always working to generate more tutorials on our product and I'll take your suggestion for this and see what we can do to generate a more in-depth 3d graphics tutorial in the coming months. Thanks for mentioning that.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jeppe Svendsen
on Dec 18, 2012 at 8:59:36 am

Is it possible to manipulate keyframes in curves mode in the timeline? I would like to tweak the ease in/out.

Jeppe

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Dec 18, 2012 at 12:59:10 pm

Absolutely! Here's a link to a screenshot and feature description for the graph editor:

http://www.borisfx.com/red/Upgrade-Reasons.php

If you need any help in understanding how to use it please let me know and I'll write that up for you.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jeppe Svendsen
on Dec 18, 2012 at 9:26:19 pm

Thanks again. It all worked out perfectly after your words of wisdom!

It would be awesome if you could make some tutorials on 3d workflow! It is sad that no one really knows how to use this software (at least not in Denmark) since it has so much potential and the integration with Avid is just AWESOME! With good tutorials it would be so much easier to get started.

Jeppe

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Dec 18, 2012 at 10:46:27 pm

Hi Jeppe,

I don't know what version of RED you're on, but as the creator of that animation (I think that's Tim Wilson narrating though) I can send you the project file and associated materials if you want to mess around with it, assuming I can still find it.

I think I was using a .mov file of some dots or something I made for the reflection/environment track on the text and rings. Peter's right in that you jack up the shininess and reflectivity settings to help with that look. Blast from the past - that was done about 7 years ago.

Steve

Return to posts index

Jeppe Svendsen
on Dec 19, 2012 at 12:43:45 pm

Hi Steve

Thanks for your reply. It would be awesome to get a chance to play around with the project file, and compare my own results with what you have created!
True - it is a blast from the past. 4:3 and everything! :D But still it is the only video tutorial going through the 3d stuff which I have been able to find. Most of the tutorials out there are more sales videos than tutorials. What good is a sales video if can't figure out how to use the software? You actually have to pay for Boris' own tutorials. A mystery to me...

Thanks again Steve - let me know if you find the project file and materials.

Jeppe

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Dec 19, 2012 at 7:31:48 pm

Hi Jeppe,

I did find the .red file. Although it uses a couple of large 400MB files for reflection tracks, I changed them over to gradients and the effect is quite similar. Everything else is self-contained. I'll try attaching it to this post.

http://f1.creativecow.net/5112/red-3d-demo-file

Return to posts index

Jeppe Svendsen
on Dec 21, 2012 at 6:17:17 am

Thanks Steve!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]