BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Machine for Vegas AND Boris Red

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan RamseyMachine for Vegas AND Boris Red
by on Nov 6, 2012 at 8:24:56 pm

Hello all,

I shoot with a Canon 5D Mk II and edit using Sony Vegas 10 and Boris Red 5. Not being as techie as maybe I should be, my last upgrade was to a Vista 64 bit platform, so I found out the hard way that I can't use Red on my Canon .mov files since Apple apparently will never release a 64 bit version of Quicktime.

I'm looking to build my next machine and was wondering: Is there anyone out there who successfully runs the above softwares and if so, what are the vitals on that machine? What flavor OS? 32 or 64 bit? How much RAM? What video card? Sound card? Etc...

I have basically taught myself Vegas and Red. I could do it again. As much as I would hate it, should I submit to the empire and get a Mac, FCP, and After Effects?

Any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Boris YamnitskyRe: Machine for Vegas AND Boris Red
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 1:41:59 pm

Since no other user chimed in, let me comment from our perspective. First, Vista 64 is very old and not very stable OS. To run a Vegas rig, I'd recommend an i7 PC with a modern graphics card, Win 7 or 8 OS, Vegas 11 or 12 and Boris RED 5.2. That should work pretty well for you.

Boris Yamnitsky

Return to posts index

Dan RamseyRe: Machine for Vegas AND Boris Red
by on Nov 21, 2012 at 3:09:16 pm

Thanks for your reply. I'm still curious about the 32/64 bit question.
Can RED 5.2 handle the .mov files? ...or should I get a 32 bit OS?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved