BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

optical flow slow 50% with 23.976 footage

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Busby
optical flow slow 50% with 23.976 footage
on Oct 20, 2012 at 3:42:35 am

BCC 8.03, Avid MC 5.5.3. / How in the heck can one use Optical Flow for 23.976 footage smoothly? I have to slow a clip down to 50%, I have the input set to progressive and the frame rate of the source set to 23.98. It seems every 7th frame from the render is duplicated twice which obviously will look like poop.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: optical flow slow 50% with 23.976 footage
on Oct 22, 2012 at 12:02:10 pm

Hi WIlliam,

I'm not sure why you're seeing that result and I'll take a look this morning to see if we can reproduce the issue on our systems. In the meantime, you should be able to set the Blending Mode to Frame Blending Only and continue working. If the problem persists even after you have changed the Blending Mode, then try using BCC Velocity Remap instead of BCC Optical Flow while we investigate the issue.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Oct 22, 2012 at 3:28:31 pm

Hi WIlliam,

We just tried reproducing the problem that you described using our MC 6x systems with BCC 8 and for us the BCC 8 Optical Flow filter operates smoothly, just as expected on both platforms.

Next, we'll move back and check on an the older MC 5.5 systems to see if it's related to using the previous version of Avid Media Composer.

Stay tuned.

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Oct 22, 2012 at 3:57:44 pm

Hello again William,

Further investigation into this issue. We're seeing something unexpected but slightly different than you are with the Optical Flow filter (in MC 6) at 50 percent in a 23.978 project.

What we are seeing is that the Optical Flow filter appears to be missing a frame during the render. This seems to be happening only once in the render and not every 7 frames as it is on your system.

With that, we'll open up a support case and attempt to resolve the problem. In the meantime, as I suggested earlier, for clip retiming effects, you might want to use BCC Velocity Remap, which does not exhibit this problem.

Thank you for letting us know about the problem - when I have more information regarding this issue, I'll share it with the list. .

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

William Busby
on Oct 22, 2012 at 8:06:57 pm

Thanks Peter. I got through it doing something similar to what you had suggested.

I've noticed the 1 repeat frame you mention only in 1080i & 60i projects before and it always seems to be on the 14th or 15th frame (can't recall). However, I just tried a 50% render on different 23.98 clip as a test and it was smooth but saw that 1 repeat frame as well but it repeats twice.

There must be something funky with the original clip that consistently repeated every 7th frame in the render I mentioned.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]