BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Rethink Copy Protection Process

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave BeatyRethink Copy Protection Process
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 8:22:27 pm

I really like Boris Soundbite. What a great concept and needed addition to my tool kit. I first used Boris FX tools about 11 years ago on the original Media 100. This new product is awesome for editors. I've been using it and needed to purchase it.

Today I encountered the Boris FX Unique Product ID / Unlock Code system that is in place. It's not a satisfying experience for the end user if you are expecting to use the product at the time of purchase.

Most end users make snap purchases when we need something. In this case, I was liking Soundbite and using it. Until the trial ran out in 14 days. So I went online and purchased it for $295 and happily entered the serial number and was about to get back to work on my project with about 20 or 30 audio takes.

I had received all the invoice, confirmations, etc from the transaction.

BUT....I didn't real the fine print. You have to wait a day, to get an unlock code, after you email a Unique ID code back to customer support at Boris. I figured, nah, can't be right, but perhaps it's an automated system. I emailed back the code. Nothing. No auto reply, in an hour. So I call. I'm told that it's another person that handles the Unock Codes, what's my company? Almost felt like I was bothering someone. So, this was 11:30 today.

4:00 today I called again.

Perhaps I will talk someone into letting me use my purchase the same day. Perhaps not.

But it's a frustrating experience when you have a project and you can't continue because a person has to manually generate a code. At least I am assuming that.

I know piracy is bad, but there must be an easier way. I'm not trying to flame. It's just something to consider.

Dave Beaty
Dreamtime Entertainment
1625 SE 46th St
Cape Coral FL 33904

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Rethink Copy Protection Process
by on Oct 12, 2012 at 6:10:16 pm

Hi Dave,

I apologize on behalf of the company for any inconvenience that the delay in getting a license for Soundbite may have caused you.

Please know that for all of our other products, we provide fully automated self-serve licensing, which means that customers can download products from our web store and purchase a license for the product via the web 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, without incurring any wait time. Fully automated. It is our hope that with a future revision of the product, we will be able to offer the same fully automated approach to product licensing for Boris Soundbite that we currently use for the rest of our product line.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank you for being one of our customers - we very much appreciate and value your support.

Return to posts index

Patrick PayneRe: Rethink Copy Protection Process
by on Oct 20, 2014 at 11:20:03 pm

Disappointing that this is still a problem 2 years later...

Purchased expecting to use (trial ran out) and unable.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved