BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris RED 5.x Transitions Problems (Adobe CS 5.5 - MAC OSX)

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Davide BarducciBoris RED 5.x Transitions Problems (Adobe CS 5.5 - MAC OSX)
by on Oct 7, 2012 at 10:17:34 pm

There are some problems that still happen with Boris RED 5.x transitions in Adobe Premiere Pro & Adobe Media Encoder CS5.5.
1) If I use BRed transition selected from "Template Mode" a "gamma" change is made on clip (black zones are lighter during transition) (Ok in "advanced Mode")
2) If Some transitions, as "DamagedTVFlicker" from "Designer Transitions" in Red5 Library, are applied from "Advanced Mode" at the clip end, without Join Clip to a Black-video clip, the transition doesn't create a dissolve!...
The same effect in "template Mode" (with problem listed above) create also a dissolve effect!...
3) If some transitions (or BCC 7.x effect!!!) as "DamagedTVFlicker" from "Designer Transitions" in Red5 Library, are applied from "Template Mode" Export with AdobeMediaEncoder hang on this transition...

Apple OSX 10.8.x has solved "Open GL Texture" error on some BCC7/BRed effects, but not solved problems above...

Someone can reproduce/verify my problems?
Have you any workaround or final solution?...

MacPro (2010/2011) 6GB RAM (ATI Radeon HD5770)
OSX 10.8.2
Adobe Creative Suite CS 5.5 (applications updated)
Boris Red 5.2
Boris Continuum Complete 7.06

(Excuse me for my bad english translation... ;-)...)

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Boris RED 5.x Transitions Problems (Adobe CS 5.5 - MAC OSX)
by on Oct 9, 2012 at 2:57:13 pm

Hi Davide,

There are some known issues (and some unknown issues!) with Boris RED 5x in the Macintosh version of Adobe Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and this is why we do not list that as a supported configuration on our web site. Here's a link to the product support chart:

As you can see, RED 5x and CS 5x are supported fully on Windows, but not on the Mac.

Here are a few tips:

If you see a gamma change, check the RED preferences to see if the safe colors / levels option is enabled - if it is, then you might want to disable it.

If you apply a template from the RED Library Browser and you see that there is a black video anywhere, the first thing to do is to open the applied setting by entering the RED interface, and then if there is a black video track (might be there as a temporary background in the template) then select and delete it and apply back into the Premiere Pro timeline.

A workaround for any host compatibility issues might be to use RED 5 in standalone mode, and render out the pieces that you need, then import the rendered media into Adobe Premiere Pro.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Davide BarducciRe: Boris RED 5.x Transitions Problems (Adobe CS 5.5 - MAC OSX)
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 6:51:11 pm

Hi Peter,
Thank you very much.
I think I not have explained well, but not problem.
About your answer I checked again the compatibility matrix and I see that 5.2 version of Red is supported from Adobe premiere 5.5x on Mac, also if it's not supported in After Effects 5.5x...
Also I tried the ColorSafe/Levels in RED preference but I have not found...

So I discovered another problem also with BCC7.x because when I rendered some effects as "Spotlight" and "Drop Shadow", the final exported clip Had a poor quality for these effects... The preview in Premiere was good!...
So I tried to "uncheck" the flag "render at maximum quality" (I have the italian version so I don't know english name of checkbox...) in Premiere pro export window... and the rendering is correct!...

But the very big problem is the Hanging of Adobe Media Encoder... So I can't create Queues outside Premiere, but I have to use only Premiere Render engine...

You know if RED and BCC will be updated and fully support Adobe on MAC configuration?...

Thank you very much for you constant and professional availability.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved