BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Clone tool or other better one to remove lapel mic wire (RED5)

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Silva
Clone tool or other better one to remove lapel mic wire (RED5)
on Aug 27, 2012 at 11:57:35 pm

Hi,

Along an interview the lapel mic wire dropped accidentally from the interviewee shirt, as showed here:

The wire appears along 5 minutes and position changes considering interviewee movement.

a) First thing I thought as a workaround was to use the clone "tool". I don't have much expertise on handle it. One of the problems I found with clone is that plenty of "clone stroke" (under "paint path" track) are being applied. And to adjust the clone strokes on wire with "interviewee movements" are being hard work. After have applied, is it possible join all clone strokes in just one clone stroke track? Is there other tip about this tool that should be useful in this situation?

b)Is there other RED5 tool to provide an reasonable workaround better than the clone tool?

Thanks,
Cadu

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Clone tool or other better one to remove lapel mic wire (RED5)
on Aug 28, 2012 at 11:04:04 am

Hi Carlos,

Well the first question would be is this something that you can use the motion tracker to follow. If so, then the task of removing the object becomes a lot easier.

Assuming that you can track the mic, you can use the tracked motion to lock the clone paint strokes onto the object. All of the paint strokes can be nested into a single track to which the motion tracker filter is applied.

Another option is to use the Wire Remover tool. This tool includes two motion trackers, one at either end of the fill area.

There are many tutorials available to help you with this process. Here's a sample:

http://www.borisfx.com/videos/RED/Clone-Paint2.php

To find more, just type in the words clone paint in the search field on the borisfx.com website.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Aug 28, 2012 at 11:17:07 pm

Hi Peter,

After your tip I found my way is with "Wire Remover" tool. Many thanks!

However, I was not able to achieve a good result by using the motion tracker. The interviewee many times pass the hand over the mic wire and it seems I will need to adjust keyframe manually.

On this subject(adjust keyframe manually) I would appreciate other tip from you. Something strange is happening: I set the first keyframe; then I set the second one. The changes I made in the second makes the first change as well. I mean, if I have 10 keyframes and I change one of them, all the others will change to the same.

I think it should be a property/setting issue. I had worked with keyframes on BBC lighting properly, but now even this filter is showing same strange keyframe behaviour I am facing with "wire remover".

Any idea what to do?

Cheers,
Cadu

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 29, 2012 at 12:14:36 am

Hi Carlos,

Are the keyframes set to hold? If they are set to anything other than hold this would account for the drift that you are seeing.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Aug 29, 2012 at 11:46:35 am

Thanks again Peter!

The issue is with "Toggle Animate/Static Mode" indeed.

Bye,
Carlos

Return to posts index

Jaeson Koszarsky
on Sep 20, 2012 at 9:51:30 pm

I've use the wire removal tool for stuff like this before. You can also try creating a patch/cover in PhotoShop and then tracking that to the video.

There seems to be a plenty of clean contrast between the hand and the shirt. To cover any dirty patchwork occurring when the hand travels over the mic, you could add a 2nd video layer and luma-key the dark out so you have a clean hand floating over the patchwork job.

Jaeson

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]