BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Red 3 API Error

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Pankow
Red 3 API Error
on Aug 3, 2012 at 7:49:30 pm

Getting "BFX API ERROR Invalid menu handle MenusImp.cpp 65". Thought it was due to missing fonts in a comp, but that's not it. Error comes whenever I try to alter a text track. The Control Menu either comes up blank or only with some controls present. Deleted .ini file already.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Red 3 API Error
on Aug 6, 2012 at 3:55:40 pm

Hi Steve,

Am I correct in guessing from the header of your post that you're using RED 3? I'm not sure if there is a lot that we can do if this is indeed the case as that version of the software must be over 4 years behind at this stage. I'd be interested in hearing what the combination of host version and plugin version your are using here.

Is there anything that might have been changed on the system recently that may have contributed to this error message?

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Aug 6, 2012 at 4:29:15 pm

I figured it was a long shot, but I was curious as to what in general the error message was suggesting.

Perhaps it's related to the fact that the .red project and media live on a Avid Unity share and not on a local host. The Symphony Nitris next door can access this project without issue and it runs the same 3.0.4 version. Only recent change was to delete many fonts off of my system, but as far as I can tell the fonts that the project wants are still on board.

I have yet to see if bringing everything local fixes it, but I rendered out what I needed via the Symphony.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 6, 2012 at 5:07:58 pm

Hey Steve,

Well if you still have the 3.0.4 installer then I'd suggest removing the existing installation of RED 3 and then re-installing from the installer. This might take care of the problem. If you don't have access to the installer let me know and I can see if we can make that available to you.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Aug 6, 2012 at 5:11:41 pm

If that's the "RED3.0.0_3.0.4.exe" file, then we still have it. What info are you curious about getting on my end?

Just to clarify, RED is working fine with locally created projects - I'm in one right now. It's just this one out on the network that's acting up.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:05:41 pm

Well that's the correct installer and now as I learn more about the issue, i.e., that it's network related and not affecting local projects, I'm thinking that this may be just a fact of life. I'll ask some of the folks around here to see if they've heard of others that may have encountered similar issues with networked drives.

I was curious as to what version of Avid you are using to see if it may have been a situation where only part of the system had been upgraded. Is this a new problem or something that you've seen before?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:12:06 pm

This is a new problem. And of course after I said it wasn't a problem locally, the error surfaced. Seems related to any time I attempt to generate title media.

Going to rebuild the font style palettes, reboot and see what happens.

Avid is Media Composer v2.2.10 with Quicktime Pro 7.1.

Only other thing I can think of is that I ran Piriform's CCleaner. Maybe it nuked something it shouldn't have.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:20:42 pm

Okay well here's my suggestion:

• Uninstall RED completely using the Add / Remove programs function
• Reinstall RED using the 3.0.4 installer

Then try to generate title media and see if this solves the problem - first try using the standalone application, then the plug-in. My guess is that this should fix it and it's the shortest route to a solution that I think will work.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Aug 6, 2012 at 6:57:13 pm

Did a remove/reinstall and got back up to 3.0.4 but the problem remains when trying to generate title media. It's Invalid Menu Handle MenusImp.cpp 65.

Did find out I no longer have the serials for LightZoomFilter.exe and RED3GLFilters.exe though. Any chance of getting those?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 6, 2012 at 7:03:39 pm

Okay - well now I think we need to get someone on the phone with you to resolve this issue. I'll ask one of the support guys to get in touch with you - they may already have experience with this issue and might be able to resolve it in short order. Are you still at the same email address?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Aug 6, 2012 at 7:05:24 pm

Yep. Need a number?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 6, 2012 at 7:14:37 pm

Sure ... I gave them your email address and a link to this thread but a number would be great. You can send that to me privately at peterm@borisfx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Aug 6, 2012 at 8:21:18 pm

Spoke with Mukesh and tried his idea of uninstalling AMP Font Viewer and deleting the Red .ini without any luck.

Next, I copied the entire Symphony font directory into my Media Composer (only copying in new fonts and not overwriting) and that took care of it. Even reinstalled AMP and there was no conflict with Red. Another bonus is that Red now starts faster.

With the font folder now up to 1,865 fonts and 277MB I figured Photoshop would once again not display all the fonts in its list, but it appears to be holding up for the moment.

Do you have any solution for the LightZoom serial? UPDATE: LightZoom still appears to work in Red standalone, so I guess it's not needed.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Aug 6, 2012 at 8:34:48 pm

Hi Steve,

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve the problem with the fonts on that system. The software that you are running is quite old (I think RED 3 is from about 8 years ago) and at this stage is considered "unsupported." If you want to maintain the system, you would be well advised to back up a mirror copy of the system disc so that if you change anything and run into another issue where it's no longer functioning as expected, you would then be able to restore the drive and continue working.

I'll ask around and see if I can find a license that I can send to you for the Light Zoom freebie filter installer.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]