BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Animated painting "path" on a map

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos SilvaAnimated painting "path" on a map
by on Aug 1, 2012 at 10:35:16 pm

I am trying to create a simple animation based on the Red5 paint tool. I have created a "paint layer" and then drawn on the canvas, which is a map. Actually, I would like to create an animated painting "path" on the map, showing along time the painting being drawing, but I am unable to do this. All paints I could create are static and doesn't have keyframes (I made a draw, not an animation!).

I would appreciate help to:

a) How could I create such animation?

b) Is it possible to add a "drop shadow" to the animated painting "path"?

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Animated painting "path" on a map
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 2:58:29 pm

Hi Carlos,

Animating a paint stroke is fairly easy - here's how to do it:

• To make a dash or dot that follows the paint path:
• Set the time marker (CTI) to the start of the timeline
• Create the stroke
• Make the Paint track / layer the current selection - you should see two tabs in the control window Paint Tab and Transform Tab
• In the paint tab, set the Strokes End to a very small value - start with a value of 2
• Set the animation type to Linear
• Set the Stroke Begin to 0
• Set the animation type to Linear
• Move to the end of the timeline
• Set the Strokes Begin to 98
• Set the Strokes End to 100
• Now as you playback the timeline, you should see the stroke moving per your animation

• If you want to create a continuous line paint-on and do not want to see a dash or dot (which is what I have described above) then only make adjustments to the Stroke End parameter and leave the Stroke Begin parameter set to 0 with no animation.

To make the drop shadow, move the paint track onto the face of standard shape track, then turn off the eyeball on the media sub-track. You can then enable the drop shadow option for that track.

Feel free to send me your email address and I'll send you a RED 5 project that shows you how to do this. You can contact me at

I hope this helps,

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: Animated painting "path" on a map
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 3:36:42 pm

Peter, it would be great if mini-tutorials, like the one you supplied for this post, could be collected somewhere. You churn out a few number of these on this forum, so it would be cool to have easy access to them, whether here or on the Boris FX site.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Animated painting "path" on a map
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 3:40:01 pm

Hi Marcus,

You are right and actually I am in total support of this. We've done some of this in the past and to help that cause, I'll record a mini tutorial of this paint feature and post it for everyone.

Thanks for mentioning this.

Return to posts index

Carlos SilvaRe: Animated painting "path" on a map
by on Aug 2, 2012 at 6:17:16 pm

Hi Peter,

Many thanks for explanation!

As suggested, it would be great to find tutorials on Boris joined in some place. To newbies - as me - it would be handy!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved