BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Switching from FCP to Premiere Pro 6 - need advice on Boris products for transitions

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan FrankSwitching from FCP to Premiere Pro 6 - need advice on Boris products for transitions
by on Jul 18, 2012 at 7:20:07 pm

I'm a long-time Final Cut Pro user who is transitioning over to Premiere Pro 6. I'm in the process of learning the program and for the most part happy with the change and how readily the skill set switches over.

The one thing that is woefully lacking in Premiere Pro is in the arena of transitions and I am trying to discover the best fix to replace all the transitions (and filters) that I had in FCP that unfortunately won't transfer over. I am currently wading through the morass of Boris possibilities and...more than a bit overwhelmed and confused as to what would work best - especially since I am used to 'automatic transitions' that one simply applied between to clips (versus the transitions in BCC and FEC that seem to be all 'create them yourself by tweaking keyframes on layers'). Between that and Red's "open another program to do anything" interface, it honestly seems like a lot of work and time to do what used to be a largely automatic function.

So my questions are

1) am I missing something? Is there another version of a Boris product that is more traditional (or at least what I'm used to) in nature?

2) as there is so much overlapping in regards to what filters and transitions are included in each package, which is the best match (or value)

3) where can I find good tutorials for applying Boris to Premiere Pro (especially FEC - the videos I found on Boris' site claimed to be for Premiere Pro but were for After Effects instead).

Thanks for any navigational advice you can give

Return to posts index

Boris YamnitskyRe: Switching from FCP to Premiere Pro 6 - need advice on Boris products for transitions
by on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:36:08 pm

Jonathan, all valide questions. The short answer is - unlike FCP, Premiere does not offer editable transitions. In other words, to customize your transitions you have to use a custom UI. This is precisely what products such as Boris FX and Boris RED do. Please review this tutorial created specifically to address this question:

http://www.borisfx.com/videos/FX/

another tutorial on the same subject but using RED:

http://www.borisfx.com/videos/RED/Transitions.php

Keep in mind that applying a canned transition using any of the above products is very easy. There is a special library browser mode that hides complex UI.

Hope this helps

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Jonathan FrankRe: Switching from FCP to Premiere Pro 6 - need advice on Boris products for transitions
by on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:47:37 pm

Thank you for the links and the patient response (my head is swimming after a day learning Premiere...wrapping my head around Boris at the same time is cause for vodka). I had seen the Red tutorial but FX hadn't entered my radar as an option.

What is the benefit of Red over FX (or vica versa) - or rather is Red essentially FX with a host of other options? (does it do the same thing and then add a host of other potential options?). If one gets Red is FX then redundant, I guess is my question (I've downloaded trials for all...plus FEC and BCC to see what best fits my need)

Again thanks for your help - this is one area where google is not one's friend and it's hard to wade through what is beneficial advice and what isn't...

Return to posts index

Boris YamnitskyRe: Switching from FCP to Premiere Pro 6 - need advice on Boris products for transitions
by on Jul 18, 2012 at 8:55:46 pm

I think you nailed it: FX is a subset of RED. If you only need transitions then FX is sufficient. RED adds titles, 3D extrusions, EPS import, paint and many other features. But if you are looking for transitions in Premiere FX will do the job. While custom UI could be a bit intimidating, there are plenty of canned transitions to choose from and over time you can grow into more custom work. Also FX is always upgradable to RED should you need more graphics and compositing options.

Good luck, I'm sure it's an exciting journey.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Jonathan FrankRe: Switching from FCP to Premiere Pro 6 - need advice on Boris products for transitions
by on Jul 18, 2012 at 9:07:39 pm

Well if that's the case (and as I...um...have a version of Red 3.0.2 I purchased in 2005 and never got around to fully appreciating) I might as well simply upgrade my Red.

While we're on the subject of "money I spent and never properly utilized...." I also have Boris Continuum Complete 4.0 that could be upgraded. Is there any benefit (or does Red cover all of those bases as well?) Going over the product comparison chart makes it appear that 90% of the filters, etc. from BCC are in Red...

Thanks for not judging :)

Return to posts index

Tyler BargRe: Switching from FCP to Premiere Pro 6 - need advice on Boris products for transitions
by on Jul 18, 2012 at 9:47:16 pm

Jonathan-

If you're ideally looking for Transitions, RED is your best bet. Of all our products, it has the most available, hands down. BCC is certainly also a good option as a toolkit, and features a handful of unique transitions such as the Swish Pan and Lens Transition. Both BCC and RED carry upgrade prices of $295 each, and if you were interested in looking into both, please don't hesitate to get in touch with me here and I can look into bundling the two for you.

~Tyler Barg
~BorisFX Sales

Return to posts index

Tom DaigonRe: Switching from FCP to Premiere Pro 6 - need advice on Boris products for transitions
by on Aug 9, 2012 at 6:23:59 pm

Jonathan, I recently went thru exactly the same transition you are currently experiencing.

Here is an article about using Boris Red 5 transition capabilities in PP CS5.

http://library.creativecow.net/daigon_tom/Boris-Red-5point0-review/1

It opens up new worlds. If you get a chance, check out my "Dancing Footloose" video. You can use the one below to link to the HD You Tube version. For maximum fun view at 1080P and full screen. I used quite a few custom Red 5 transitions in it.

Tom Daigon
PrP / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

HP Z820 Dual 2687
64GB ram
Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]