BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Open Avid FX with Red?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Sprague
Open Avid FX with Red?
on Jul 16, 2012 at 5:20:25 pm

I installed Avid FX on a new system last week and I was busy re-arranging the windows in the interface when, POOF, everything disappeared. FX continued to run in some parallel universe, but I couldn't see it. I subsequently spent 6 hours with Boris support, deleted all the App Data, tried tons of things, but FX is still broken. Whenever I try and open it, all the windows flash up momentarily and then disappear. I have to go to the task manager to quit out.

But that's not my question.

After being unable to solve the problem, the Boris guys gave me an unlock code for Red, which is essentially the same. That's fine for new projects, but how can I open old projects that were done in FX. If I click on the effect, FX will try and open and then crash; how can I get the effects to open in RED?

BaldyMntPost_pos.jpg

Return to posts index

Trevor Asquerthian
Re: Open Avid FX with Red?
on Jul 16, 2012 at 6:32:54 pm

I assume you mean the fx created within the avid app (otherwise you could just open the .red files from within Boris Red).

I'd pose the question to Boris support ... there may be some hidden directory containing the .red files you would need to salvage the effect, but a search on my system only reveals .red files I have saved as such deliberately. You may well be SOL. You'd have to replace the footage anyway as it wouldn't be able to reference the avid timeline.

I suppose you could open the sequence containing the avidfx on a system that was working and save them out as .red files.

Are you sure that the windows aren't minimized or somesuch in AvidFX?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jul 16, 2012 at 9:00:18 pm

Hi Jim,

Did the support person that you worked with have you fully uninstall Avid FX before moving forward with anything else? If not then I'd like to suggest that you please do this. Then, once you are certain that the product has been uninstalled, I would make sure to delete the preferences files for Avid FX. Next, Avid FX should be reinstalled using only the most recent and up to date product installer.

Once the product has been reinstalled as described, launch the Avid FX standalone and make sure that it's operating as expected. Then open MC, start a new project and apply Avid FX to a clip. Make sure the product is operating as expected.

Only then should you go back to one of the preexisting sequences to see if they will work properly.

I'll check with the support guys to get some more history on this but I would suggest following the steps that I've outlined here.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jul 16, 2012 at 9:08:45 pm

Hi again Jim,

I just spoke with Jon, the rep you were working with in an attempt to resolve the issue and we've decided to consult with another engineer to see if we can get to the bottom of this. Thanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jim Sprague
on Jul 17, 2012 at 12:33:14 am

Thanks Peter, that saves me a long answer. Can you see any benefit in re-installing Symphony as well?

BaldyMntPost_pos.jpg

Return to posts index

Jim Sprague
on Jul 17, 2012 at 12:35:12 am

Oh and thank Jon for me. It was a long day for both of us, I appreciate his patience.

BaldyMntPost_pos.jpg

Return to posts index

Jim Sprague
on Jul 18, 2012 at 4:42:34 pm

Peter, have you managed to figure out anything? I just uninstalled FX, Red, BCC Avx, and Symphony. Reinstalled everything, started the standalone FX and it crashed. What's going on? I really need this software, I have years of projects that I need to open. Using Red is a terrible solution. Please contact me asap at creative@cheknews.ca and let's see if we can get this running.

BaldyMntPost_pos.jpg

Return to posts index

Jim Sprague
on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:41:35 pm

So then I took everything off again and had my IT remove all the registry entries for Boris. And still it didn't work! Not only did it not work, when I reinstalled, the license information was already populated. Something is still in my computer that is not being removed when I uninstall. Any idea where I might find it?

BaldyMntPost_pos.jpg

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jul 18, 2012 at 5:49:19 pm

Hi Jim,

I'm waiting for engineering to provide a particular file that I can pass to you which I think will do the trick.

I'll get back to you in a few minutes.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jim Sprague
on Jul 19, 2012 at 2:31:45 am

yippee it worked! your engineers came through and it worked a treat. I appreciate Jon's patience, even when mine was getting a little thin. I'll hold on to this tool you sent, hopefully your guys can figure out what caused the problem in the first place. anyway, i'm back to work!

BaldyMntPost_pos.jpg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]