BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Undesirable "slow motion" when playing video in Boris Red5 timeline. Any workaround?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos Silva
Undesirable "slow motion" when playing video in Boris Red5 timeline. Any workaround?
on Jul 12, 2012 at 7:17:55 pm

Hi,

I run Boris RED5 from Vegas.
In the Boris UI the play button (or space keyboard key) run the video in "slow motion".
Is there any way to set a different speed, desirably the "normal" video speed?

Thanks!!!

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Undesirable "slow motion" when playing video in Boris Red5 timeline. Any workaround?
on Jul 12, 2012 at 8:15:16 pm

Hi,

In order to see the video at normal speed, you need to use the preview to RAM button instead of the spacebar play function. To do this, while in the RED interface select:

• Preview>Preview to RAM

or

• Control + 0

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
Re: Undesirable "slow motion" when playing video in Boris Red5 timeline. Any workaround?
on Jul 12, 2012 at 8:54:56 pm

Hi again Peter,

Actually, I realized there is a yellow/orange bar that is loading while the first play is in action. Is there any command that load it directly, without to be needed press play?

After the bar is loaded, even the simple play (button or space bar) run the video normal.

Without this orange bar loaded, even the "preview to RAM" (crtl+0) plays video slower. After the bar is loaded, the "preview to RAM" plays the the video faster than normal. Is it expected?

I will take a weekend to read the Boris user guide to get more familiarity with interface and commands...

Many thanks for your overall support. I am enjoying Boris Red. It is a great tool really !

Carlos

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jul 12, 2012 at 9:09:44 pm

HI Carols,

The yellow bar that you are seeing represents the frames that have been cached to disc. The cache happens every time you move to a new frame. Once the frame is cached, it can be retrieved by the application without delay and this is why it plays in real-time / normal speed.

When you press the spacebar or click on the play button, you are causing RED to traverse the timeline and cache all of the frames.

When you select Preview to RAM you also cause RED to traverse the timeline and cache all of the frames.

So why choose one over the other you may ask? Well one of the reasons is that when you select a Preview to RAM, you can preview a portion of the timeline. Just click anywhere in the UI while the Preview to RAM is building the frame cache and RED will loop the frames that have been cached. It's a very handy way to work. You can also set the workspace area and use this to set the area that will be cached during a Preview to RAM. This is not possible when you simply use the spacebar or press the play button to preview the result. With the spacebar or the play button (same function actually) you have to preview the entire timeline to return a looped playback.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jul 12, 2012 at 9:11:33 pm

Typed too fast ... I mean to write "Carlos". Sorry about the misspell! :)

Peter.

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jul 12, 2012 at 9:33:33 pm

Don't worry!
Many thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]