BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Could Boris Red5 replace some After Effects features?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Carlos Silva
Could Boris Red5 replace some After Effects features?
on Jun 28, 2012 at 3:08:09 am

Hi,

First thing come to my mind to create animation is After Effects. It seems Boris Red5 provide animation features as well.

Would Boris Red5 used together a NLE (e.g. Vegas) provide some animation features similar that from After Effects?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Could Boris Red5 replace some After Effects features?
on Jun 28, 2012 at 8:48:52 pm

Hi Carlos,

Yes, that's the whole idea behind Boris RED ... you can use it to generate animated VFX without having to leave the editing timeline. And because the editor (Vegas in this case) does all of the rendering, the effect remains live and can easily be modified.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jun 28, 2012 at 10:14:36 pm

Thanks for information Peter!

I downloaded a trial of Boris and I am enjoying some features, even I couldn't understand how to use much of the resources yet.

I would appreciate a couple of further information.

a) About the usage, is Boris hard to learn (I will use it with)? In comparison with After Effects what would be the learning curve?

b) Is Red5 able to give support to create infograph animation similar of that in the link bellow?

Best,
Carlos

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jun 29, 2012 at 1:43:16 pm

Hi Carlos,

Glad to be of assistance.

Regarding the difficulty of learning RED as compared to After Effects ... both of these applications have a learning curve but if you are familiar with keyframe animation and layers then it should not be too difficult. There are so many resources available, many of them free, to ease the learning curve. You can start by sifting through the various tutorials and webinars that are located here:

http://www.borisfx.com/videos/RED/

http://www.borisfx.com/webinar/

And absolutely everything that you see in the video link that you included in your post can be done with relative ease in Boris RED.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jun 29, 2012 at 2:50:51 pm

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the confidence you gave me about Red5. I am going deep on it now.

Considering the tutorials and webinars you mentioned, could you just clarify me about:

a) Not always RED5 is attached to Vegas. For instance, there are sources about:
Create Subtitles with Media 100 and RED
Using RED as a Transition in Final Cut Pro
Even I use Vegas, would these sources attached to others NLEs be useful as well?

b) Some webnars are related to Boris Continuum. It seems RED has much (or all?) features of Continuum, am I right?

c) Actually this is a issue related with my current trials with RED. I am observing a little delay when using simple commands/resources from RED, changing tabs etc. I mean, I click and just few moments after that RED gives me "answer". Is it the common behavior of RED? I am using it in a DELL VOSTRO notebook, intel core i5 2.4Ghz, 6GB RAM, 1GB videocard (AMD Radeon HD 6630M).

All the best,
Carlos

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jun 29, 2012 at 3:08:44 pm

Hi Carlos,

Here are some more answers:

(a) The tutorials that feature hosts other than Vegas will provide you with a lot of useful information regarding use of Boris RED. I think they are well worth your time to watch.

(b) Boris Continuum Complete 7 (BCC7) is included with Boris RED. The current version of Continuum Complete is BCC8 and many of the more recent webinars will highlight some filters that are not included with BCC7.

(c) I would have expected better performance than you are seeing on that system but it might be that this is simply a fact of life for that configuration. Have you tried using the RED standalone (RED Engine) to see if you experience the same level of performance when Sony Vegas Pro is not running? If you have a lot of other applications running while using RED or Vegas you may see a decrease in performance as information is swapped in and out of memory.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Carlos Silva
on Jun 29, 2012 at 3:53:21 pm

Thanks again Peter.

In fact, RED is running a little faster as standalone.

About this two ways of run RED (Vegas plugin and standalone), could you give a general idea about how I should deal with both?

I mean, if I create a project in standalone, will be possible inside Sony Vegas load this project? For instance, I will try to create infographs and animation similar that I had posted before (that link to youtube). In this way, could I create the animation in standalone and then load into Vegas?

All the best,
Carlos

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jun 29, 2012 at 6:00:08 pm

HI Carlos,

As you can see, you can use the program in both plug-in and standalone operation. As a plug-in, you have the advantage of the effect always being editable on the timeline. As a standalone, you have better performance. You can render out a movie or still image from the standalone, then import that back into the Vegas timeline. Or you can save out the project as standalone, then apply the plug-in filter to a clip in Vegas and them open the saved project from within the plug-in. As you can see the program is quite versatile. :)

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]