BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC8 Stability with Vegas

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James HoughtalingBCC8 Stability with Vegas
by on May 29, 2012 at 2:25:28 pm

I just completed a larger multicamera project with lots of edits and BCC filters. I really struggled towards the end as Vegas would crash every 15 minutes or so and throughout the editing process BCC filters would act up. I'm not sure where the blame lies but thought someone might want to investigate further.

Below is a screen shot showing a missing drop down menu for the "Position XY" adjustment. Many many times (almost always) the little arrow link would be missing. If I closed the dialog or deleted the filter and opened it again sometimes the arrow would come back and I would be able to adjust the position of whatever effect I was using. This happened mostly with the Lens Flare 3D but it also happened in at least one other filter that uses the XY position thingie.

Another issue I found was for no apparent reason the filters I had set up for a media FX would double. For example, if I used Film Glow, Levels, and sharpen as media FX. After Vegas would crash and I reopened the project, my video would be all blown out. When I open the media FX I would see two sets of identical filters added on top of each other. This would happen for all media used in the project! I had to go in more that once and delete duplicate filters from each bit of media in the entire project. Very strange.

---------------
My Hardware:
Core i7 2.67GHz; Nvidia GTX580, 12 gig RAM Win7 64bit.

My Software:
Vegas Pro V11 with Boris Continuum Complete 8, VASST Ultimate S; Bluff Titler; AE5; PhotoPaint and other stuff.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: BCC8 Stability with Vegas
by on May 29, 2012 at 2:51:46 pm

Hi James,

Thanks for the detailed report and for the screenshot - this definitely helps.

We'll attempt to reproduce the problem in our labs and from there we can determine where the problem exists and if it's on our end we'll do our best to institute a solution with a quick update to the software and if it's on the host side then we'll report the issue back to the m and hopefully they will resolve it in short order.

Thanks!

Peter.

Return to posts index

Mike HinkelRe: BCC8 Stability with Vegas
by on May 30, 2012 at 12:26:27 am

I have a case ID# on the very same problem with the position box disappearing. I am waiting to hear as well. Very strange behavior

Return to posts index

James HoughtalingRe: BCC8 Stability with Vegas
by on May 30, 2012 at 12:35:06 am

Let's hope Pete and the Boris guys can find a solution. It's tough to use the filters without the position box unless you really know your XY coordinates by heart. I can't remember if the problem occurs only when the position is animated or not but it's worth looking into.

I also hope they take a look at the anomaly where my filters were duplicated at the media FX level. This occurred across my entire time line. I saved several filters as a package - several different packages one for each clip. Then after a crash, the filters doubled as though the packages were added on top of each other.

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:
Vegas Pro V11 with Boris Continuum Complete 8, VASST Ultimate S; Bluff Titler; AE5; PhotoPaint and other stuff.

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2012 at 1:52:15 am

I hope so to. It is a real PITA having to go back and forth to keep things going. It takes away the ability to tweak the movement for the best looks in an event. Save, save, save, and save some more. Gets old

Return to posts index

Guillaume JeffreyRe: BCC8 Stability with Vegas
by on May 30, 2012 at 3:19:45 am

I have the same issue with the small triangle disappearing. I revert back to the previous Vegas built (595). No problem anymore.

Return to posts index

Jeremy EllisRe: BCC8 Stability with Vegas
by on May 30, 2012 at 3:21:37 pm

Hello,

Mike I am still unable to reproduce your issue but after reading what Guillaume wrote I doubled checked and I am trying this on Sony Vegas 11 64bit build 595. Which build are you on? Also James if you could let us know what build you are on as well.

Thank You
Jeremy
Boris Support

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2012 at 4:20:01 pm

My version of Vegas 11 is 683 (64-bit)

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2012 at 7:11:09 pm

I am using build 683 64 bit, also Jeremy

Return to posts index

by on May 30, 2012 at 11:53:31 pm

I went back to test the previous build 585 and the problem, as Jeffrey says, went away. Still a lot of back and forth. I don't get hardly any crashes with the new build, but crashed it twice in the old. Why it crashed is another matter.

Jeffrey, when you say revert do you mean reinstall the old build or can you keep it right along with the new?

Return to posts index

Guillaume JeffreyRe: BCC8 Stability with Vegas
by on May 31, 2012 at 1:11:50 am

Mike,
You can't install 2 builts of the same version together (unless 32 & 64bits. I uninstall VP11-683 then install VP11-595.

Return to posts index

by on May 31, 2012 at 2:45:24 am

Thanks Jeffrey, I didn't think you could.

Return to posts index

Stephen MannRe: BCC8 Stability with Vegas
by on Jun 2, 2012 at 3:09:35 pm

This is a long shot, but the next time part of the dialog window disappears, open the task manager, click on the Processes tab, then sort on the GDI Objects column. While Windows has an absolute limit of 10,000 GDI's, realize that many programs consume many hundreds of GDI objects, and it's not unusual to have more than a hundred processes running at any time. (Every icon, pointer, checkbox, window, image - everything graphic needs a GDI).

As I said, this is a long shot. I have only seen a single case of running out of GDI's and that was a programming error.

Steve Mann
MannMade Digital Video
http://www.mmdv.com

Return to posts index

Robert St-OngeRe: BCC8 Stability with Vegas
by on Jun 3, 2012 at 12:25:34 am

Same problem here using Vegas 11 64-bit an BCC8 Lens Flare 3D, no XY box on a long project.
Quick test I just did, if I open up a new Vegas session and drop one event with BCC8 Lens Flare 3D, the XY box will show up but if I just add a Sony Color Corrector FX, the XY box in BCC8 is gone.

I also have a problem with the Sony Color Curves (non-ofx) where no settings will show up in it's window on long projects. Reading Stephen Mann's previous post, I do get a feeling Vegas 11 has problems with long projects while V10 could handle them without any issues.

Return to posts index

by on Jun 3, 2012 at 4:31:57 am

So what's the definition of a long project? My music video was 4 minutes but had a color treatment added to 6 or 7 video clips at the mediaFX level that consisted of 4 different filters, Then add on to that at the eventFX level, lens flare or other effects and the drop downs start disappearing. Complicated and slow to render yes - long video, no.

BTW, someone at Boris opened a formal tech support ticket so hopefully they won't close it until they found a fix.

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:

Return to posts index

Robert St-OngeRe: BCC8 Stability with Vegas
by on Jun 3, 2012 at 2:38:43 pm

In the case of the BCC8 Lens Flare 3D filter, long is meaningless as I pointed out earlier, only I did believe it was triggerred by a long project just like in the case of the Sony Color Curves settings not showing up. Are these two problems interrelated, I don't know but thought I would point it out.

A long project, in this case, is some two hours with several mixed FX on half of the events with mixed DSLR and EX1 footage.

Return to posts index

Chris MarquartRe: BCC8 Stability with Vegas
by on Oct 10, 2012 at 11:10:41 pm

Any fix on this? Just found this thread searching for the same issue. No X/Y adjustment window just the number inputs. Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Oct 11, 2012 at 12:15:22 am

The latest BCC release for Vegas is 8.1 and is supposed to fix the problem. Though I have not had time to test it myself. This is Boris's release note:

"Implemented workaround for a host problem specific to Vegas 11.683 with parameters appearing to be disabled when they shouldn't be or with point pickers controls failing to open. A side effect of this fix is that controls are never enabled/disabled in BCC effects in Vegas 11.683."

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:

Return to posts index

Chris MarquartRe: BCC8 Stability with Vegas
by on Oct 11, 2012 at 12:50:04 am

Thanks James....sorry for asking without checking for the update. Installed and no problems now.
Good day.
Chris

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]