BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Red's Motion Key Effect Creating *Two* Masks?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Moretti
Red's Motion Key Effect Creating *Two* Masks?
on May 21, 2012 at 12:21:17 pm

I am having an issue with Red's Motion Key effect where it seems to be using two masks to replace the moving image. This is causing an offset type of distortion.

I followed this Motion Key tutorial:

B/c I don't have the Artbeats source footage, I used some NTSC 720 X 480 footage that I have.

When I play the effect w/ Remove Area chosen, there is a distortion that seems to be cause by partially overlapping masks.

I remember seeing this behavior before when using the Motion Key, but didn't have the time track down the cause. I see this both when using Red as a standalone app or when launched for Avid's Media Composer.

The project is set to 720 X 480 NTSC DV. Fields is set to Lower Field. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and Red version AvidFX 6.0.5.1097.

The attached images should illustrate what I'm seeing.

What the effect looks like:

What the Mask looks like:

What the Setup Region looks like:

General settings for the effect:

Thank you very much for the help!

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Red's Motion Key Effect Creating *Two* Masks?
on May 22, 2012 at 4:19:26 pm

Hi Peter,

We would very much like to work with you to resolve this - would be be possible for us to use the clip that you are using in the images that you posted? If so, please drop me a note at peterm@borisfx.com and we'll give it a shot. Assuming that it will work for us, we can then send you the .red project file so that you can see how we did it.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Red's Motion Key Effect Creating *Two* Masks?
on May 22, 2012 at 9:37:14 pm

Hi Peter,

The problem with this is that you need to feed the motion key filter a stabilized clip - there's just way too much camera shake in the original shot for the Motion Key to generate a good result. Here's the workflow:

• import the clip into RED
• use the optical stabilizer to stabilize the media
• render out a new stabilized clip
• import the stabilized clip into RED
• use the motion key filter to remove the person

I've sent along a RED project (privately) so that you can see how it's done.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]