BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris Graffiti 6 Training / Tutorials

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marlen MathersBoris Graffiti 6 Training / Tutorials
by on May 10, 2012 at 6:33:00 pm

Hello -

I just downloaded Boris Graffiti 6 to use within Sony Vegas Pro 10. I'm new to the "Boris" brand and am having a little trouble navigating and understanding some basic functions of the program. Does anyone know of any good training or tutorials for a beginner in Graffiti?

I did visit the Boris TV sites, as well as some of the training's on the COW site. However, there's not a lot "specific" to Graffiti (and less for newbe trying to learn the program) There seems to be more trainings/tutorials for RED - from there I'm looking at TEXT tutorials content for RED. The functionality is similar to Graffiti, but really only speaks to achieving a specific effect. I'd like to learn the basics of the program.

Any info would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Boris YamnitskyRe: Boris Graffiti 6 Training / Tutorials
by on May 10, 2012 at 7:45:17 pm

It's a fair comment. We've just released Graffiti 6 and there is not much out there specific to this new release, but yes, all text-based tutorials for RED apply and there are a few for Graffiti 5 on Boris TV

We'll be sure to post something fresh soon. Keep an eye on our weekly newsletters. Thanks for your interest and support.

Boris Yamnitsky

Return to posts index

Doug BuckserRe: Boris Graffiti 6 Training / Tutorials
by on May 17, 2012 at 12:18:58 pm

G'day Martin,

As a fellow new user of Graffiti, I completely agree. It appears to be a very powerful product, but it has a very steep learning curve. I purchased it yesterday and spent the last four hours trying to do something very simple (crawl text along the bottom of the screen) and it's very frustrating.

If any of the Boris documentation people read this site, I can make some suggestions from a new user's perspective.

1. Create a translation table between how beginners think and what the on-screen text says. For example, I want to make text move to the left (i.e., a crawl). In the type on tab (which happens to be where I'm looking now), my choices appear to be tumble, spin and rotate. Which one means move to the left? No idea. I've been randomly entering values into random fields just to try to reverse-engineer what fields do. The equivalent of a glossary would be very helpful.

2. Explain some basic concepts of the Graffiti motion graphic interface to new users. Why is there a mask in the top level of the timeline, then a mask underneath the face level of the timeline. No doubt there's a good reason, but I suspect that it's going to take quite a bit of experimentation to figure it out. It would be really helpful if there was a basic explanation with pictures and arrows explaining what they do. I know how to create motion graphics in Premiere, but have spent four hours getting nowhere in Graffiti.

3. For the tutorials in the on-line help, please, please use more pictures. I've spent the last three hours trying to create crawl text using the tutorial "creating animated text". In this tutorial, the first 15 instructions don't have any pictures, so finding the buttons and triangles involves moving the cursor from icon to icon on the screen, waiting for the tip text to display. Screen captures are cheap, easy to produce and very helpful to users.

All that said, I'm confident that Graffiti will eventually make sense. At the moment, though, there's no flight school. They simply put you in the cockpit of an F-18, give you the keys and wish you happy voyages. Once I figured out how to engage first gear, I've spent the last four hours slamming into the wall at the end of the runway.

Return to posts index

Marlen MathersRe: Boris Graffiti 6 Training / Tutorials
by on May 17, 2012 at 1:30:57 pm

Doug -

You captured the "New-user" experience well. I'm always hesitant to post in forums such as this about "basic" program usage and functionality. The reason being - is that someone at sometime probably had similar questions and if you just "searched" hard enough in the forum or elsewhere on the web, you would find you answer.

However, the application of that line of thinking for the usage of Boris Graffiti is different. Mainly because there is such a void of information specific to Graffiti available. It took me about a day to figure out that there was similar "functionality" in the text applications of RED, but if you weren't familiar with RED ( as I was not)you would never know to look there.

I share your frustration with understanding even the most basic functions of the program. I hate to admit this (as I'm somewhat savvy with learning new programs), but in one instance it took me 45 minutes to figure out how I lost my "selector" (arrow) and how to get it back. I eventually got it back, but come to think of it, I still don't know how I did it.

With all that said, I love this program. I'm actually doing things by "mistake" and coming up with some really cool treatments. The problem is, I can't yet do "What I intended to do", because of lack of understanding on how to get there. I'm setting aside about 90 minutes per day to just work in this program and discover whatever I can. It's not the optimal usage of time, but its all I can do for now until other sources of info become available.

I did stumble across a PDF of a Graffiti 3 User Guide. That has been quite helpful in helping to learn the basics, It has some self explanatory tutorials and is quite robust with its information. If you'd like me to send it to you let me know.

Return to posts index

Doug BuckserRe: Boris Graffiti 6 Training / Tutorials
by on May 18, 2012 at 10:47:19 am

G'day Marlen,

Thanks for the reference to the Graffiti version 3 manual. I downloaded it and am going through the first tutorial now. I cannot overstate how much reading something targeted at new users is helping. Thanks for letting me know it exists.

I hope that Boris management considers how much an up to date user manual will help their marketing to new users. Now that NLEs are becoming more affordable, more non-professionals such as ourselves are now potential customers. Given that Graffiti is the most inexpensive Boris product and is immediately useful to home enthusiasts, it makes sense that Graffiti would be the first Boris product which we try.

Given the steep learning curve and lack of newbie documentation/training, I wonder how many sales Boris are costing themselves by not throwing a few thousand dollars at a technical writer. If it wasn't for this very helpful Creative Cow forum, I wonder how Boris anticipates newbies actually get started with the product. When I looked at the Boris website today, I didn't see this helpful version 3 manual contained in their documentation list.

Anyway, enough whinging from me :). Thanks to your very kind reference, I can start to understand a bit about Graffiti and will hopefully be able to put some lower thirds on our daughter's school presentation video before it's due on Sunday.

Thanks again,

Return to posts index

Fergus Fergus SemlerRe: Boris Graffiti 6 Training / Tutorials
by on Sep 14, 2013 at 7:32:37 am

Perhaps try this link...

Return to posts index

by on Sep 15, 2013 at 1:59:40 pm

Hey Fergus - thanks for sharing this. It is very helpful in getting me up and running and understanding some of the basics of Graffiti.

Return to posts index

Fergus SemlerRe: Boris Graffiti 6 Training / Tutorials
by on Sep 15, 2013 at 7:53:24 pm

Hi Marlen,

It's been a while since you posted this, I wasn't sure you'd still be interested, but since I stumbled across your post while looking for help myself, I thought quite a few people would like to know.

There is another source of videos - Gripps, an Australian (as am I) who's produced tons of material about popular video graphics packages.

On Boris Graffiti, try YouTube user Gripps2211 and search for "Boris"...
(I'm having trouble getting the link to work here)

Return to posts index

by on Sep 16, 2013 at 3:07:46 pm

Thanks Fergus -

I am still interested in more Boris related tutorials (especially Graffiti and also if it is related to Sony Vegas). The link you posted earlier was easy to adapt to Vegas, so I found it quite helpful.

I'll check out Gripps2211 and continue to look for more Graffiti related content. If I find some, I'll post here.

Thanks again for the find...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved