BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Seeking advice/tips on motion tracking

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter HonigSeeking advice/tips on motion tracking
by on Apr 19, 2012 at 3:52:48 pm

I have spent many years using motion tracking in Boris Red but have always struggled with some of the small details. Namely, when the tracker loses its target I can either manually move the track point to the correct location and lock it (if it is an isolated case and the other points are good) or I can create a new keyframe at the "loss point" by moving the tracker to its new location. The problem I am having is grabbing hold of the "+" at the center of the tracker because it is cluttered by the track points. I have tried clicking the search frames but it does not select the tracker. Is there an easy way to do this?

My other question is what should the keyframe interpretation mode be set to (e.g. hold, linear, etc.)? When I do move the tracker, it does not create a new keyframe unless none of the other keyframes are highlighted. Is this normal behavior?

Lastly, though I have always succeeded in getting the tracker to work, I would still be interested in seeing an in-depth tutorial if one exists. I have searched the tutorials on the Boris web site but they all show the tracker when everything works well and not when there is a jump to an invalid point or a loss of target.

Return to posts index

James HoughtalingRe: Seeking advice/tips on motion tracking
by on Apr 24, 2012 at 1:30:28 am

Peter your last point is spot on. In Vegas I can get tracks that look 90% OK but if there's one or two jarring camera moves the track never comes out. How then to fix those points? Keyframing the offsets rarely works. The tutorials only show moving back to the lost frame and trying again. What can we do to refine the process - what magic parameters have I not tried yet and how do we use them effectively? What about sub-pixel accuracy? Case in point, this video starts with a simple camera move with an added feature using track motion:
I had to add a couple key frames to the rotation, not sure if it helped or hurt but the final product is less than convincing.

I hope I'm not hijacking your thread Pete - but if Boris' reply can address Vegas too I'd be thrilled.

My Hardware:
Core i7 2.67GHz; Nvidia GTX580, 12 gig RAM Win7 64bit.

My Software:
Vegas Pro V11 with Boris Continuum Complete 7, VASST Ultimate S; Bluff Titler; AE5; PhotoPaint and other stuff.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved