BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC AE 8 using OpenGL at render time or something? Any way to disable or switch?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Kocher
BCC AE 8 using OpenGL at render time or something? Any way to disable or switch?
on Apr 14, 2012 at 1:57:14 pm

Hello:

I was just wondering if anyone knew if BCC in AE used the graphics card during render time?

The reason I ask is because I noticed that when rendering a recent project that utilized BCC Extruded EPS, my CPU usage was only at about 30%, but my Windows interface became very slow, including video playback (which normally requires only 1% of CPU resources), window drawing/movement, etc.

To test things further, I used a couple of apps (3D graphics) that are CPU intensive for renders, while the AE project was still rendering. These worked just fine -- other than the display in the viewport(s) of course -- the render was barely impacted by the AE render. It slowed down the 3D app renders by about what you expect having only ~70% of CPU cycles available.)

This, coupled with the fact that the AE renders are taking an unusually long time, leads me to conclude that BCC is not utilizing all cores and using the GPU instead.

Can someone confirm or deny this ... or shed some kind of light on it please? Is there an option somewhere to choose between multi-core and OpenGL accelertion that I missed, perhaps?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best,
Tim

MAIN SYSTEM (NEW!): Asus P8Z68 DELUXE, Core i-7 2600k @ 4.6Mhz (stable), 16gb DDR3 1600 (1833 oc) Vengence RAM, 256gb SSD (OS and Apps Only), 2TB RAID0 Caviar Black SATA3, Nvidia Quadro FX 3700, Windows 7 PRO 64-bit, AE CS5.5PP, all in a customized HAF-X case ... complete with holographic logo. [Air cooled into the low teens idle, 49c under heavy sustained oc'd load.] Dual 19" displays.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: BCC AE 8 using OpenGL at render time or something? Any way to disable or switch?
on Apr 23, 2012 at 4:11:47 pm

Hi Tim,

The BCC filters which are in the 3D Objects category (and the BCC Extruded EPS filter is one of them) are indeed using the GPU. There are a few more filters in BCC 8 which are also hardware accelerated, such as the Glint, Glitter, Glare, LED, Lightning etc but the majority of the filters in the package are CPU based.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Tim Kocher
Re: BCC AE 8 using OpenGL at render time or something? Any way to disable or switch?
on Apr 23, 2012 at 4:21:49 pm

Hi Peter, and thanks. Yes, I talked to someone in tech support right before the weekend, and can confirm this is indeed what is happening.

Can I suggest that a future release addresses this issue, and make it user selectable whether the GPU or CPU is utilized for a plug-in. I am using a CUDA-capable graphics card -- and I don't believe your plugs are even utilizing CUDA -- but my CPU power far outclasses any GPU acceleration available. GPU acceleration should be relegated to editing only IMHO.

Thanks again,
Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]