BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Bcc8 text extruder not interacting w/ 3d layers?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
maha mohtaseb
Bcc8 text extruder not interacting w/ 3d layers?
on Apr 5, 2012 at 8:04:28 am

First time using Bcc8 text extruder in AE cs5. Boris claims "precise interaction" with other 3D layers. But how about intersection? I'm getting neither..
I've applied Text Extruder to a 2D solid, placed at the very top of timeline, yet interaction with other 3D layers is definitely a bit off. And it doesn't intersect with 3d layers? I really hope I'm wrong. I need my bcc layer to intersect/interact with other 3D layers (below and obove it). Anyone with a suggestion? Thanks.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Bcc8 text extruder not interacting w/ 3d layers?
on Apr 6, 2012 at 1:51:29 pm

Hi Maha,

The BCC 3D Objects will indeed interact with 3D layers in After Effects and can they use the AE camera and lighting system, however, you cannot intersect a 3D Object with another layer. Can you describe the effect that you are trying to create? There are a few compositing tricks that you can use which might solve the problem for you but before I offer any more advice on this I need to know more about the result you are trying to create.

You mention that the 3D Text object that you created does not appear to accurately interact with 3D layers in your comp ... can you offer some more detail on that so that we might better understand what you are seeing? In the BCC Extruded Text filter, you will find a parameter in the Transformations group which is labelled "Match Pos Z to Comp" ... have you tried enabling this option to see if it improves the result?

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

maha mohtaseb
on Apr 9, 2012 at 3:52:24 am

Hi Peter,

Yes after enabling "Match Pos Z to Comp" interaction is accurate, thanks for that. Unforturnately, I've been reading up a bit on Boris' 3D Objects, and as you've mentioned, there is no way for proper intersection. That's too big a drawback for this project I think, as the camera is rotating around the scene.

Have you used Trapcode's Echospace? Not sure if this'll work, but I'll try and post the results-
I'm thinking to precomp my text layer that I want extruded, use Echospace within the precomp, move the instances backward in Z-space, and then "collapse" the precomp back in the main Comp.

Any other suggestions are appreciated!

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Apr 9, 2012 at 1:29:03 pm

Hi Maha,

Hmmm ... well when I need a camera to rotate around a scene that includes BCC 3D Objects and AE 3D layers, I find that I can use the split layer command on the 3D layers and move them vertically in the comp stack so that the scene appears to work visually as the camera orbits the objects. If the camera is in front of the 3D Object then the AE 3D layer is below the 3D Object layer in the comp - if the camera is behind the 3D Object then the AE 3D layer is above it in the comp.

I'd very much like to hear of your experience with Echospace.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

maha mohtaseb
on Apr 11, 2012 at 10:07:42 am

Hi Peter,
I found Echospace was no more of a time saver than manually duplicating the text layer several times in the precomp and spacing each duplicate 2.5 apart in Z then collapsing the precomp back in the main.

But on a side note, I was pretty amazed by Echospace.. Great plugin.

Maha

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]