BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

3D Objects Extruded EPS logo

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Valladao3D Objects Extruded EPS logo
by on Mar 24, 2012 at 2:52:47 pm

I have a simple logo built in AI which is a green circle with 2 letters on the face. I created an extruded EPS logo within 3D objects.
It took quite a bit of trial-n-error to get the logo to appear correctly on both the front and back of the 3D object.

The letters on the rear of the object were a big mess until I checked the "back bevels" box under 'extrusion'. This made the logo usable and pretty, but...

is it possible to create the 3D object so the letters don't invert on the back side? The letters are "ON" so when you view the back side of the logo, it appears as "NO" with the N backwards- which I understand it's supposed to do...

Is there a better way to do this using 3D objects?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve PankowRe: 3D Objects Extruded EPS logo
by on Mar 28, 2012 at 8:16:15 pm

Wouldn't you just duplicate the set of spline objects that represent the text and flip them around 180 with Spin Y? The way I see it, you'd have three extruded objects - front text, circle and rear text all within a single 3D folder with the renderer set to 3D Model.

You could then adjust the Position Z of the text objects to make sure they don't physically occupy the same 3D space as the circle and look funny, but of course the amount of extrusion you use on all of these objects will affect that too.

Return to posts index

Mike ValladaoRe: 3D Objects Extruded EPS logo
by on Mar 31, 2012 at 3:13:00 pm

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don't seem to be able to get all 3 spline objects to play well together. The front letters and the middle circle work fine, but I don't seem to be able to get the rear inverted letters to show up or interact with the other two objects. In addition, when I spin the front two objects around, the front object (the letters) is showing through, so even if I could get the rear object to show up, the front is still bleeding through.

Maybe I'm just going at it all wrong, I'll keep trying to play with it.
Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Steve PankowRe: 3D Objects Extruded EPS logo
by on Apr 1, 2012 at 12:49:35 am

Kinda sounds like the three elements aren't all in the same 3D Container. Also sounds like you need to adjust the Position Z for the text to make sure it's not physically occupying the same 3D space as the circle. Unless you alter both that and the extrusion depth, the text will usually "disappear" within the circle object. Positive value for the front, negative value for the back.

I'll try to attach a Red 3.0.4 project that hopefully illustrates what I'm talking about. Adjust the Spin Y of the 3D Container to 90 degrees and then adjust the Position Z of either text track to see how it either sinks or rises above the wedge object.

3929_2sided3d.red.zip

Return to posts index

by on Apr 1, 2012 at 3:30:56 am

Thanks for taking the time to do that- you rock.
I have BCC7 3D Objects, not RED so I can't open the file within my AE project.
I did adjust the extrusion depth and the z position, but it didnt seem to make any difference. I'll keep messing with it, though, I'm sure I'm doing one little thing wrong, I'll get it eventually.
Thanks again!

Return to posts index

by on Apr 2, 2012 at 2:34:25 pm

I'm going to come back to this later as I've run out of time for the project. I love the idea of doing the 3 objects as it looks much better, but...
I ended up just leaving it a single extruded object and cut the video at 90 degrees, replacing it with an inverted copy so it does one full revolution. It'll work for now.
Thanks again for all your help Steve.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]