BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris BLUE 3.0?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul James ChatmanBoris BLUE 3.0?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 12:05:01 pm

I love BLUE, but it occasionally causes screen tearing, color distortion within the Compositing window, and some times won't refresh the window with W7 64bit and my GF 9500 GT. All of this is caused by A) my video card, and B) 64bit CPU. Also, I have 4 cores, but the multiprocessor enabled tick box won't "tick".

I believe this has been asked, but I can't find the answer, soooo....

• Is there any further development for BLUE?

• Will there be 64bit support?

• Liberal graphics hardware support?

• Are all of BLUE's feature being integrated into RED 6?

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Boris BLUE 3.0?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 2:44:17 pm

Hi Paul,

Our current focus is with Boris RED 5 and making sure that we cover all of the target hosts as best as we can on all platforms, 32 and 64. We're also very busy with the BCC updates, again for many different target hosts on multiple platforms. With that, there are no immediate plans for updating Boris Blue ... that may or may not change as we make progress and move forward with our current projects but as of today that's where we stand with that.

RED is more of a compositor, Blue is more of a graphics engine ... but there has always been a lot of crossover between Boris RED and Boris Blue, with the major difference being that Blue utilizes hardware GPU rendering for previews and the final result, falling back to CPU rendering only when necessary and RED offering OpenGL GPU previews for speedy 3D set up but always doing the final render using the CPU. This is what provides Blue with real-time previews and near real-time renders. It's blazingly fast for 3D graphics work, as you are well aware, but it's a Windows only product so it's not for everybody. We would like to add more features from Blue into RED and this may indeed happen (perhaps with RED 6) but at this point in time we're more focused on finishing the updates to RED 5 for all host targets / platforms.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: Boris BLUE 3.0?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 5:43:46 pm

Thanks for the update on Blue. When Blue was first introduced I wasn't sure what it was "all about" until someone made a general comparison to Zaxwerks Pro Animator; then Blue made sense.

I have always been intriqued with Pro Animator, but decided to wait on Blue since Boris had indicated some time back that a Mac version was in development.

Your news indicates the possibility (the certainty?)that a Mac version will not happen; indeed Blue may not be with us much longer in any form.

I am a huge RED fan, so it is good news that some of Blue's functionality may get transfered to RED. That's an exciting development along with Boris' news that more comprehensive RED training material is in the works.

So until then, I guess I need to give Pro Animator another look. With that in mind, it would be great if RED could read and write Pro Animator native files so that Pro Animator users could take avantage of RED's "advanced compositing" capabilities.

Return to posts index

Jonny LightningRe: Boris BLUE 3.0?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 5:51:45 pm

Bringing Blue's 3D model import ability over to RED would be SWEEEEET!

Return to posts index

Theo van LaarRe: Boris BLUE 3.0?
by on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:58:30 pm

Oh, and if this next Blue/RED fusion could also read POSER files would be super super super super super super super GREAT

Return to posts index

Paul James ChatmanRe: Boris BLUE 3.0?
by on Mar 18, 2012 at 9:58:07 am

Thanks. It seems what you've told me was what I had pretty much figured out, but wanted an official answer. In fact, (heh heh eheh), I actually passed up ProAnimator in favor of RED, because I assumed it to be a mere 3D text animator: well having played with the new PA5 demo I was wrong: ProAnimator is a pretty sweet package. It seems to be that RED/BLUE crossover product.

But I still love BLUE, but the hosting issues aside, I agree with you Peter, RED & BCC deserve more development focus in the current term. BUT, it would be great if RED did inherit BLUE's 3D & GPU Real-time rendering features (hint, hint).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved