BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Custom mask feather - Boris Red

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeppe SvendsenCustom mask feather - Boris Red
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 3:26:03 pm

Hello

I need to help to figure out how to apply feather to a custom mask created via a spline shape in Boris Red.
I have tried to apply a blur filter to the spline track, but the result is not good enough. It creates a funny halo around the edges.
I have tried the mask choke filter but the result is even worse.

What I want to do is just like you do it in After Effects. Apply a shape to a layer - it turns into a mask - and i adjust the feather to my liking.

Where is the magical feather switch in Boris Red?

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Custom mask feather - Boris Red
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 3:56:49 pm

Hi Jeppe,

There is no other way to feather a mask in RED ... the recommended workflow is to do exactly as you have done, which is to apply a blur filter to the spline shape.

Having said that, you should be aware that there are several different blurs in RED 5, each with many options. I would suggest starting with the Pyramid Blur and choosing the Pyramid Smoother option in the Blur Quality pop-up.

The result that you are seeing suggests to me that there is something else going on in your comp as you should not be seeing any kind of halo around the edges. Does the spline shape have a border enabled? This might be the source of your problem.

Please feel free to send me a copy of your project and I'll take a look to see if I can figure out what the source of the problem is.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jeppe SvendsenRe: Custom mask feather - Boris Red
by on Feb 22, 2012 at 4:14:28 pm

Thanks Peter

You just made me sad, but thanks anyway. :)

I'm new to Boris Red but I am already very impressed. The 3-way CC is just what we needed to do good secondary CC in Avid Media Composer.

What I would like is the feather option on the mask track, and the option to do custom mask inside the Pixel Chooser, just like I can do it in the BCC Lens Blur in AVX.
Using a blur filter to do this seems like a round trip to me. The result is simply not good enough I think.

Is it possible that you could do an in depth tutorial on the 3-way CC and custom masks?

Return to posts index

by on Feb 22, 2012 at 7:39:32 pm

Hi Jeppe,

We have a section on our web site where we post replays of all of the on-line webinars that we create and there are a couple that focus on using BCC and RED in Avid MC hosted by Jeff Grenberg that you might want to take a look at. Jeff shows how to use the 3 Way color Grade filter in at least one of these webinars - try the one labelled Professional Compositing and Titles in Avid Media Composer. You can check them out here:

http://www.borisfx.com/webinar/

Regarding the mask feathering question ... if you use any of the built-in masks in the 3 Way Color Grade filter, you can use the built-in feather function in the mask controls group to generate as soft of an edge as you like. Then there is also the key mode, which can be used to isolate pixels in the image based on their HSL values. We're working on adding support for a custom spline option but if you need that right now you can do a bit of compositing to generate alpha and isolate pixels for color grading - it's more work but you can still get the job done within RED.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 22, 2012 at 8:02:53 pm

Hello again Jeppe,

I mentioned in my last post that you could do a little compositing to use spline shapes in RED to isolate regions for color grading - here are the details:

• add the 3 Way Color Grade filter to the clip that you want to color grade
• create a new spline shape track
• use the spline tool to create the desired spline shape / shapes that you want to use to confine / isolate the color correction
• apply a pyramid blur filter to soften the mask shape and tweak the blur level
• move / nest the spline track into the host layer mask track of the 3-Way Color Grade
• select the Color Grade filter in the timeline
• in the control panel, go to the Mask tab
• set the mask shape pop-up to host layer
• enable the use host layer track switch
• set the host channel to alpha
• go back to the main 3 Way Color Grade tab and color correct the image - the color correction will be isolated to the region in the spline shape(s)

Note that you can also combine the Key function with the spline shapes to further isolate pixels in the image.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:23:59 am

Thanks Peter

This is so great. Can't wait to try out the pyramid blur, to see if that does the job.
And thank you so much for your detailed answer.

Can you tell me if you guys are working on a feature in the 3-way CC that allows me to desaturate in the LIFT, GAMMA, GAIN areas and not just the overall saturation?
It would be nice with a saturation slider just below each color wheel to do this.
And what about a hue curve? That would allow me to desaturate the blues for example. Is that in your plans?

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I just really like this plugin and I want more! ;)

Return to posts index

by on Feb 23, 2012 at 2:54:16 pm

Hi Jeppe,

I like the way you're thinking with this. Yes, we should add a Saturation slider control beneath each of the color Spheres. I'll see what can be done to accommodate that request.

Color curves are something that we have worked on a while back and I think we might have something that we could potentially add to this filter that would provide this level of control. I'll discuss it with engineering to get their feedback. If we can do it then we will, as I agree with you in that it would be a very useful addition to what is even now a very powerful and capable color correction tool.

By the way, I'm not sure if you are aware of this but we have a new Videoscope filter in the latest version of BCC 8 with lots of very useful scopes that are really helpful when color grading or color correcting clips and images ... have you tried that yet?

Meanwhile, I'll record a little movie clip going over the basics of using the 3 Way Color Corrector within Boris RED that we can upload to our web site so that everyone can benefit from this discussion.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 26, 2012 at 5:25:56 pm

Hello again Peter

Amazing feedback and thank you - I look forward to seeing what you find out.

Unfortunately I have not tried the BCC scopes yet. I'm on BCC 7...
I'm really looking forward to try it though.
Are the scopes responding live to my corrections? That would be nice since Avids own don't.
You guys should definitely put that plugin in Boris RED, since I don't have video out while working with my secondarys in RED, and therefore can't use my external scopes.

I'm sorry if I did not explain myself well enough, but what I meant was a hue curve that controls the saturation in a specific area of the tonal range. In a picture of man wearing a very saturated blue shirt, I could desaturate just that shirt. Just like I would do it with a HSL key. The advantage og this is simply saving time.

Thanks again for your great response.

Jeppe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]