BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

RED motion stabilizer and long footage

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefan ScheideggerRED motion stabilizer and long footage
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 2:29:23 pm

I have been working with Boris RED motion stabilizer (in Sony Vegas) for restoration of old videos for a while now. I didn't find any other software which is able to stabilize my footage!

Most of the videos I am stabilizing have a length of about one hour. RED seems to have problems stabilizing such long videos. When I start tracking, RED freezes for about 5 minutes before it starts the process. When tracking is done and I want to go on working in RED, it freezes for up to 30 minutes before I can go on!

I also tried to manually change some motion tracking points. I actually managed to do so, but it needs a lot of patience. Moving one tracking point is ok. Moving several tracking points together takes a while. Moving many or all tracking points is not possible.
Also, when a tracking point is amongst thousands of others, it's almost impossible to select that specific one and move it. Or does someone know a trick to select/move the highlighted tracking point of the current cursor position?

RED's motion tracking is great! But I hope it will get some improvement in terms of usability!

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: RED motion stabilizer and long footage
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 2:38:45 pm

My suggestion is to make cuts in the clip and stabilize in sections ... I think an hour might be too long of a clip to attempt to stabilize all in one fell swoop.

To move or reposition tracked points, you should zoom the comp window to 400 percent or more so that you can grab the specific point that you want to reposition without inadvertently affecting other points.

You can use the "L" key on the keyboard to selectively lock points and prevent them from being moved. To use this function, select a single or a group of points, then press the L key on your keyboard. The points will change color to indicate their locked status. To unlock, select them and press the L key again.

I hope this helps.

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: RED motion stabilizer and long footage
by on Feb 17, 2012 at 5:41:30 pm

Locking tracking points! Good tidbit to know. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Stefan ScheideggerRe: RED motion stabilizer and long footage
by on Feb 20, 2012 at 10:23:13 am

Thanks a lot for the hints! I think I'd prefer to keep working on the whole one hour clips. I have about 40 of them to stabilize and the result is good. As I said, it just needs time.

I was zooming 400% to 800%. But with 1 hour of tracking points (about 90'000) it's still not possible to select the desired point. I wish there were some keyboard commands for moving the current tracking point (e.g. arrow keys) and for also selecting the neighbours of the selected tracking point (comparable to text editing: shift - arrow keys). (Yes, I'm one of those who do everything with keyboard short cuts!)

About locking points I didn't know. I'll definitely give it a try. Thanks for the hint!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved