BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC Witness Protection

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd DaltonBCC Witness Protection
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 11:15:03 am

Hi all,

I've used W.P. several times before and am always impressed with the tracker but I'm using a FCP 7 system with BCC 7.0.4 plugin today that won't let me track on the fly. When I select the 'Track On-The-Fly' it renders the error "Motion Tracker requires rendering at resolution 80% or greater" over the image.

It only happens with non-HD footage (I'm in a ProRes 1920x1080 25fps sequence). Sadly all the undercover footage is at SD and takes up the majority of the programme so I can't render out to HD as a quick fix. I have used W.P. in SD sequences with smaller than SD footage (some undercover cameras record a web-sized type of movie).

If anyone's seen this before and knows the [blindingly] obvious button to click to make it work I'd be grateful of the knowledge - I've got days of face blurring ahead on me!

Thanks in advance,

Return to posts index

Kirk PittsRe: BCC Witness Protection
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 1:08:24 pm

I've been down this road before. Just to let you know before hand I had 23 8mm reels converted for $180 in Tampa Florida a few years back. There are some places that do a decent job at a reasonable expense.

I don't know if you have photoshop and at the time I did this (about 5 years ago) I only had FCP 4 so this may not be the best way now but it worked well for me.
Step one. Open movie file in quicktime pro. There may be other software that achieves the same goal. I exported the clip as individual photoshop files.
Then batch imported the files and used photoshop to fix and correct the images.
Then used quicktime to open the image files and save them back as a movie file.

here is the original footage

here is the enhanced footage

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: BCC Witness Protection
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:08:28 pm

You might try nesting the SD clips into an HD sequence, then bringing the nested sequence into an HD timeline as an object, which you should then be able to track with the Witness Protection filter.

While you're trying that, I'll take a look to see if there's any other advice that I may be able to offer.

Return to posts index

Todd DaltonRe: BCC Witness Protection
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 3:35:01 pm

Thanks for that I'll give it a go!

Return to posts index

Todd DaltonRe: BCC Witness Protection
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:13:00 pm

Yep, that worked. And now I think about it it was an obvious work around!!

Thanks Peter!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved