BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

8mm film to VHS to Digital AVI Mud

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Houghtaling8mm film to VHS to Digital AVI Mud
by on Feb 15, 2012 at 4:48:54 am

I was given an old VHS video tape which contains a poorly converted collection of 8mm home movies. Out of the hour tape there is about 30 seconds of me and my family when I was 5 years old (1959). I'm sure the film was not in great shape and it looks to have been converted by video taping a screen. The exposure is terrible and there's tons of dust and hairs. I converted the VHS to DV AVI file using my Canopus ADV-50. So now on top of the 8mm conversion I've got all of the artifacts from an old video tape. The results is brown mud. But there is plenty of precious information in that mud and I'd like to solicit the help from anyone who's got experience in restoration.

I've uploaded the 30 second AVI here (128mb):

I've also uploaded a montage video with my attempts at improving the images. I started by using BCC Noise Reduction, then BCC UpRez, then Sony Color Curves in that order. The results pleased my family but I'm wondering how much more could be done with the AVI file. My cousin tells me he has the original 8mm film reels but I'm afraid if I ask for them there might be an expectation that I'll reconvert the full hour. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at cleaning the reel I want and capturing it in HD - I'm sure filming off the screen with my Nikon D7000 would produce better images than what I have now. But no way can I afford to process an hour's worth let alone attempt any filter corrections.

Any tips welcome. Thanks.

My Hardware:
Core i7 2.67GHz; Nvidia GTX580, 12 gig RAM Win7 64bit.

My Software:
Vegas Pro V11 with Boris Continuum Complete 7, VASST Ultimate S; Bluff Titler; AE5; PhotoPaint and other stuff.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved