BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

How to kill particles?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Pankow
How to kill particles?
on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:37:26 pm

Attached is a test animation in Red 3.0.4 showing a simple particle system moving from right to left. The end keyframe has birthrate and lifespan set to zero, but you can see some kind of "return" artifact that I can't figure out how to get rid of. Any help?

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
Re: How to kill particles?
on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:40:55 pm

Wow. This file/video upload system is terrible. The test file is 5.8MB, so if anyone wants to look at it, I can email it to you.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Feb 9, 2012 at 10:33:54 pm

Maybe this link will work:

http://f1.creativecow.net/3669/boris-304-particles

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:33:08 pm

the problem as seen in the movie file is pretty obvious. could you send a Red project setting so I can take a look at that too ? thanks

Dirk
BorisFX
dirkd@borisfx.com

Return to posts index

Dirk de Jong
on Feb 10, 2012 at 6:46:18 pm

I think I figured it out - it was using Mid Point Size which was set to something very small so you basically couldn't see the particles at the midpoint... see screencap movie here ;

http://www.borisfxresources.com/CreativeCowForum/ParticleSystemProblem/Part...

I see that part of the Particle System filter UI was somewhat confusing back in that version of RED (the same filter would probably have appeared less confusing in AE at the time) which is how you missed it and why it took me awhile to find it too (it was literally hard to find the midpoint appearance settings)... it's improved and not so confusing in newer versions (as I show in the screencap movie)

Dirk

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Feb 10, 2012 at 7:18:05 pm

Thanks for the quick reply and the tutorial. I've made some midpoint adjustments with varying levels of success, but the "extra" particles still show up. I can drop the midpoint Opacity and Size to zero and get enough of a break between the "real" and "extra" particles to chop off the animation in Avid though.

I just wish there were more presets available via the Library browser. I seem to remember a User forum on your site designed for the sharing of project files - did that ever go anywhere?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]