BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC Corner Pinning Tips?

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James HoughtalingBCC Corner Pinning Tips?
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 1:40:08 am

I recorded some test footage the other day using markers on trees in hopes that would provide the perfect set up for corner pinning a sign onto the video. After many tweaks you can see the results are remarkably poor. Can you please look at the results and raw video and tell me is this just too much movement, the wrong kind of marker, or is there something I'm missing?

I rendered the tracks using "Best Half" and added a little sharpening to the preprocessed source video. Other than that I used the default settings.

Thanks for any tips.

https://vimeo.com/36385087

---------------
My Hardware:
Core i7 2.67GHz; Nvidia GTX580, 12 gig RAM Win7 64bit.

My Software:
Vegas Pro V11 with Boris Continuum Complete 7, VASST Ultimate S; Bluff Titler; AE5; PhotoPaint and other stuff.

Return to posts index

James HoughtalingRe: BCC Corner Pinning Tips?
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 4:30:57 am

Here's another experiment - this time I used the corners of the original sign as my corner pins. BCC still had problems keeping on track but did a better job. I had to animate the offsets to compensate for some of the big swings - a process that is not all that terrible but not very precise. I wanted to add a motion blur to the inserted sign so I rendered just the corner pinned image with an alpha channel and overlayed it on the source video. But when I added BCC Motion Blur to the sign the only thing that blurred were the edges of the sign which revealed the video layer below...not good. I ended up putting Sony Vegas motion blur on the project and bypassed all but the sign's track. That hid some of the tracking problems but you can see the flickering at the end - odd too, because the camera is hardly moving at the end yet the tracker kept jumping.
http://vimeo.com/rdjim/greatbear

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:
Vegas Pro V11 with Boris Continuum Complete 7, VASST Ultimate S; Bluff Titler; AE5; PhotoPaint and other stuff.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: BCC Corner Pinning Tips?
by on Feb 8, 2012 at 5:29:09 pm

Hi James,

Feel free to send me the original clip and I'll see if I can track it.

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2012 at 6:24:11 pm

Thanks Peter, the raw footage was tacked on the end of the video I posted. It would be nice to see if you're better able to track the makers but it's just an experiment at this point. I'm more interested to see if my workflow is flawed than actually getting that particular video to track. I've had better luck tracking on single points (like bolts) than the white and black markers I made.

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:38:29 pm

Hi James,

I tried to download the video from Vimeo but for reasons that are not clear, it wouldn't let me. Could you please send me the video clip via yousendit ftp? Or dropbox?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 9, 2012 at 10:28:05 pm

Here's a zip with the media and my veg file so you can see what I did.
http://jameshoughtaling.com/TEMP/sign.zip

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: BCC Corner Pinning Tips?
by on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:22:48 pm

I played around with the video you posted on vimeo. I'm using RED5. After tweaking the tracking targets, I got a pretty tight tracking without sliding off the trees.

I kept 3 of the targets smaller. The lower left was skipping more so I enlarged the area to include the dark spot on the tree, below your marker.

You may want to experiment with coloured markers. Addition targets can help too, have two or three white targets in each corner. Or a add a strong black border around the edges of your targets.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:26:59 pm

I don't know if it matters but I had "draw centers" turned off in tracker4 when I grabbed the screen shot for the previous post. Here's one with the centers turned on.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:40:36 pm

Thanks for the reply Jaeson. As my goal is to learn why my methods did not work, I'm still puzzled how you were able to get good tracks only be changing the size of tracker 4. I had problems with all of the trackers - mostly 3 and 4. Is RED5's corner pinning plug-in the same as the one in BCC7 for Vegas? What other settings might you have tweaked to get good results?

When you suggest color markers, do you mean a solid dot? Then would I change the tracking to that color as opposed to luma? So maybe a green dot with a black border would work better in most cases (that is if the background isn't green)?

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2012 at 4:58:14 pm

I'm not sure if it's the same as BCC7 or not.

You can experiment with markers types and input channel settings. Having markers that stand out from the background is helpful. Could be a green circle with a black border, or a white circle with a black border, or a white circle with a black center. With lots of camera movement, small targets can get blurred out, you lose your luma & chroma contrast and your track.

I haven't tried LED targets but it's another option to consider. Each set up may require something different.

In one experiment, I did try tweaking the image's contrast & levels to separate the markers more but it'd didn't yield better results for me in this case.

Here are my advanced settings.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 10, 2012 at 5:14:28 pm

The RED setting definitely look different. BCC does not have preblur or target update criteria. I could try changing subpixel accuracy though.

Thanks again for the support!

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:

Return to posts index

by on Feb 14, 2012 at 3:54:19 pm

Hi James,

I wanted to get back to you on this as I (finally) had time to track the clip that you sent. I had no issues in tracking the clip, first time without having to adjust any of the settings. All I had to do was to position the target and click analyze.

One thing that you might want to ensure is that you not only have the preview window set to full / high but that you also set it to 100 percent zoom. Did you have it set up that way when the tracker failed for you? Another tip - don't resize the target or search boxes ... for this shot you should leave them at the default setting.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Feb 14, 2012 at 10:20:58 pm

Thanks Peter, I'm glad you mentioned having preview on Best Full "and" 100% zoom. I had my preview set to fit preview window size. I rendered the tracks again and it did a much much better job. Still a little wavering but my faith has been restored that I should be able to produce some nice effects.

I replaced my previous example with the new results, what do you think?

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]