BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Resize and reposition Reflection Map / RED 5 / Sony Vegas 11

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert St-OngeResize and reposition Reflection Map / RED 5 / Sony Vegas 11
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:45:06 am

I am using a reflection map over a 3D extruded text and it is starting to look really good, but I need to resize and reposition the reflection map inside RED 5, is there a way to do this inside RED 5?

Also, how could I apply for example a blur filter to the inner portion of a transparent 3D extruded text without affecting it's edges and surrounding, where the background you see through the 3D Text would be blurred, while what is surrounding the text, the remaining part of the background would be sharp focus?

Hope it makes sense, thanks

Return to posts index

Dirk de JongRe: Resize and reposition Reflection Map / RED 5 / Sony Vegas 11
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:37:33 pm

For scale and position control of the reflection map you could try nesting a 3D Plane (with the desired reflection media as its media)in the reflection map track (while also disabling the orignal media track for the reflection map track itself).

For blurring just behind the extruded text try a blur filter with a PixelChooser matte derived from the extruded track.

See a quick demo of those things here ;

http://www.borisfxresources.com/CreativeCowForum/glassText/glassText.html

Return to posts index

Dirk de JongRe: Resize and reposition Reflection Map / RED 5 / Sony Vegas 11
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:44:54 pm

the Boris project file for the demo seen here ;
http://www.borisfxresources.com/CreativeCowForum/glassText/glassText.html

is posted here ;
http://www.borisfxresources.com/CreativeCowForum/glassText.zip

Return to posts index

Robert St-OngeRe: Resize and reposition Reflection Map / RED 5 / Sony Vegas 11
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 2:58:20 pm

This is the best reply I ever got on the entire web!

Thanks so much, I will have a try at it, but from what I can see, you solved it.

And thanks for the attachment, much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Robert St-OngeRe: Resize and reposition Reflection Map / RED 5 / Sony Vegas 11
by on Feb 1, 2012 at 9:42:20 pm

Thanks for your help Dirk, that was precisely what I wanted to know. It worked out very well and the RED 5/Vegas 11 combo has proven to be rock solid, quite amazed.
And the beautifulness RED achieved with the text is just outstanding.

I do have several questions which I couldn't find answers:

If I would use a video as a reflection map, seems that RED needs specific video formats, I cannot import EX1 or Canon DSLR footage from inside RED, so therefore I would need to convert my footage into compatible RED footage if that holds up, what are high quality RED video formats and size requirements needed?

If I apply a lens flare inside RED 5, I do get a black background, how can I make this background transparent so I can see what shows up under in the Vegas timeline? (And should that be solved once we get BCC8 for Vegas ?)

I have seen in one of your RED webinar that you can search for filters inside RED, does that work with Sony Vegas?

Again, thanks so much for your valuable help

Return to posts index

Dirk de JongRe: size and reposition Reflection Map / RED 5 / Sony Vegas 11
by on Feb 2, 2012 at 12:40:22 pm

- supported moving video formats are AVI or numbered sequential still graphics (like Tiff or Targa)
- in the BCC7 Lens Flare (which is the version in Red5) it is necessary for the Lens Flare filter to do the compositing with the background (it doesn't output alpha). The background track defaults to V1 from the host. And yes BCC8 does not have this limitation.
- as far as searching for effects in Vegas I don't know of a way but I'm not so experienced with Vegas (maybe I just haven't found it yet)

D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]