BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

BCC Tracking Feature I'd like to see

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James HoughtalingBCC Tracking Feature I'd like to see
by on Jan 24, 2012 at 4:15:26 am

Is it possible to create a tracking feature that allows one to set the tracker to the center point of the pan/crop tool? I often find myselt trying to manually track a person in the frame by cropping and panning. It seems intuitive that you should be able to attached the track point to the center point of the pan/crop tool as you would the light source in a lens flare. That would be powerful.

Return to posts index

Boris YamnitskyRe: BCC Tracking Feature I'd like to see
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:10:06 pm

Try BCC Witness Protection filter. It may do exactly what you are looking for. Otherwise, use Pixel Chooser for cropping/masking and apply built-in Motion Tracker to Pixel Chooser region. See an example here:

http://www.borisfx.com/videos/BCCVegas/Match-Move.php

or

http://www.borisfx.com/videos/BCCVegas/Corner-Pin.php

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

James HoughtalingRe: BCC Tracking Feature I'd like to see
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:24:17 pm

Thanks for the reply Boris. I've watched John's videos several times. Not sure I explained myself well enough. The feature I'm after would allow you to create a crop centered on a person moving around in a scene. I'm not trying to blot out the face or add an underlay, I want to zoom into the frame and center that crop on the person as he moves. Pixel chooser is definitely not the answer -if it is, I totally don't understand it. :)

When I do this now, I go into pan/crop, zoom in and center the frame on the person. As he moves I recenter the frame at the point he pauses creating a keyframe, then I scrub along that move and see how well the center holds on the person and add more keyframes as necessary. If I add too many it starts looking choppy. If a tracker was holding the center point at every frame it would be perfect. Much like a stabilizer but only with panning.

I did get momentarily excited when I saw the BCC pan zoom filter, but that's more of a Ken Burns thing without tracking capabilities. Totally different animal.

I'm sure it's possible given the all the amazing things BCC does. I envision a BCC pan/crop filter set at the event with the track point set to the center point of the pan/crop tool.

---------------
My Hardware:
Core i7 2.67GHz; Nvidia GTX580, 12 gig RAM Win7 64bit.

My Software:
Vegas Pro V11 with Boris Continuum Complete 7, VASST Ultimate S; Bluff Titler; AE5; PhotoPaint and other stuff.

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2012 at 8:54:40 pm

OK, now it begins to feel like a Pan And Zoom effect. Try this one:

http://www.borisfx.com/videos/BCCAVX/Pan-and-Zoom-Avid.php

it's in Avid but the theory of operation is the same.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

by on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:31:16 pm

I'm still not quite making my point it seems. Yes, it is a pan and zoom effect I'm after but I want to link the pan to a tracker. If under the animation tab there was an override to "Follow Tracked Point" then I'd agree the BCC P&Z filter is the tool I'm talking about. Of course this feature would be useless on a still image, but on a video clip where your target is crossing the frame, you can animate the pan to follow the target exactly. I'm not sure how else to explain it, sorry if I'm not being clear. It's the motion tracking of the pan that I'm after.

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:
Vegas Pro V11 with Boris Continuum Complete 7, VASST Ultimate S; Bluff Titler; AE5; PhotoPaint and other stuff.

Return to posts index

Dirk de JongRe: BCC Tracking Feature I'd like to see
by on Jan 30, 2012 at 11:27:49 pm

Boris asked me to make a quick screencap movie showing stabilizer in Boris Red to see if that is something that might help achieve this effect ;

http://www.borisfxresources.com/CreativeCowForum/RedStabilizerVegas/RedStab...

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 1:26:44 am

Dirk, Boris, that you so much for the personalized video demonstration response - that was not expected and truly great gesture of customer support! This is exactly what I was looking for, but as luck would have it I just bought BCC...LOL. And unfortunately, Boris Red is not in the budget. :(

I'm told BCC's stabilizer was pulled from 7 due to a "stability" issue in Vegas V11 but that it will reappear in BCC V8 which I qualify for as a free upgrade. Not having the stabilizer to play with, can you tell me if the same or similar feature will or could be available in the V8 stabilizer?

---------------
My Hardware:

My Software:

Return to posts index

by on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:41:40 am

BCC Optical Stabilizer is different. The stabilizer effect that we showed in RED is based on a point tracker that would anchor the image based on one moving point. Unfortunately, the only solution for this effect is RED at the moment. Now, that I see how practical and useful this effect is we may consider adding it to BCC in the future but not for the BCC8 release. The good news is that there is an affordable crossgrade from BCC to RED, feel free to contact our sales lines.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Mike DePrezRe: BCC Tracking Pan zoom Feature I'd like to see
by on Apr 12, 2013 at 2:19:36 am

I found a workaround to do this. Bit tricky but the result works.

I had to add clouds to a shot of a tree falling in a storm, the camera following the top part down. Of course when we shot it. it was a beautiful sunny day. I pulled a key off the blue sky and we bought a large TIFF of storm clouds to replace the blue sky

First problem is of course no tracking feature in either BCC or Avid pan and scan. So I was looking at going through frame by frame and nudging it in pan and scan following the camera motion. Then I realized that you can of course track a normal clip......

So I tracked the tree falling on it's own layer, saved the effect to a bin and option dragged it on top of the pan and scan effect. Good news, it worked, the tracking was now moving the clouds. The problem is the tracking effect limited the large picture of clouds to raster, so you just saw black on the edges as the tracked shot moved up. So I copied that tracked pan and zoom clip to 3 tracks underneath and "Tiled" them with the 3D warp so at the end of the clip the 3 new shots filled in the black. They were all using the same tracking so they moved together. Make the edges soft and whola!

Now, I was dealing with clouds so it was easy to cover the seams. But if you grab 4 overlapping parts of the big shot in pan and scan you can nudge them around to match up and the tracking info will move them all the same.

Sorry for the long winded answer but it's tricky workaround and took a while to engineer and I wanted to share

Folks at Boris, tracking would be a great feature to add to BCC pan and zoom :) Also the ability to use pan and zoom on moving images.

Return to posts index

by on Apr 12, 2013 at 1:21:29 pm

Very interesting suggestion James, thanks for sharing.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]