BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Red 5.0 Looks Dark & Contrasty

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt M, PA
Red 5.0 Looks Dark & Contrasty
on Dec 18, 2011 at 5:53:27 am

Hey folks...working on a new system. iMac, Blackmagic UltraStudio 3d, FCP 7...RED 5.0.

We're still not able to have the raw footage from the camera update in RED, so I need to export each clip from FCP as a ProRes, (for example) to have it work in RED. In fact, it not only doesn't update in the timeline...but exports a still as opposed to motion video too.
(The same footage works fine in QT Player, FCP, Motion, etc.)

So today, I realize that my external monitor and exports from RED are noticeably darker and contrasty...while FCP and Motion look correct.

I seem to remember something about a property needing to be changed to 8 bit...but since I'm editing tomorrow...I was hoping to some input. Thanks!

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Red 5.0 Looks Dark & Contrasty
on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:44:35 pm

Hi Matt,

You may be referring to the Safe Levels option, which is enabled by default. To disable this feature, go to:

Edit>Project Settings

Uncheck the option that is labelled "Generate Safe Levels".

You should be able to run RED in standalone mode or as a plug-in and export a movie file as well as a still image file - I'm surprised to hear that is not working for you. Is this the case regardless of the codec that you are selecting?

You should also be seeing an updated preview file ... again, is this only happening when using the raw RED camera clips? Have you tried it with a Quicktime clip?

I hope this helps,

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Matt M, PA
on Dec 19, 2011 at 5:00:42 pm

Thanks Peter...while changing the "safe levels" on and off makes a difference...it's still not right.

I'm really disappointed as RED has been my go to for years. Now, as I do my first HD edit, I have to use Motion which is (at least for me) not as efficient.

Perhaps there is confusion about the clips updating. I am using QT files that function correctly in QTY player and FCP.

I'm also still having issues with the QT files not updating, and it does seem to be codec dependent...so at least I could export anything needed to go to RED. But, the picture quality thing is a real problem.

Odd thing is....still graphics and text look great.

My previous version won't work in my new machine, and my download trial doesn't last forever...so I real y hope Boris can get this fixed...I want to buy this new version.

Return to posts index

Matt M, PA
on Dec 20, 2011 at 1:38:48 pm

Perhaps a bit more about the QT files would be helpful.

When importing the native files from the camera, they do not update or render moving files, the native files are xdcam. Perhap Boris does not support this codec? (it says itmsupportsnall quicktime')

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Dec 20, 2011 at 7:06:42 pm

Hi Matt,

I'd like to check out one of these files on the systems in our labs to see if we can understand where the problem is. If we can reproduce it here then there's a greater chance that we can understand what the underlying cause of the problem might be. And in order to fix it, we need to understand what the root of the problem is.

So ... if possible, could you please send me a few frames from a clip that does not work for you? You can send that to me via yousendit ftp - my address is peterm@borisfx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]