BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

RED5: Getting 3D Title Container text to rotate on the same axis

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul James Chatman
RED5: Getting 3D Title Container text to rotate on the same axis
on Dec 7, 2011 at 2:59:32 pm

I'm creating a transition with 3D text, but I can't get the text to move in the same 3d space when the title spins. I created three tracks that has the "S" spin in, followed by the rest of the title flying from the bottom and top.

See this:

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/speak-out-title

Here is what it looks like when it's still:

But when I rotate the 3D container the text is not moving in the same 3D space:

How can I get the S to spin on the same 3D axis as the "peak" and "out" I saw this somewhere, but can't remember where and what I'm supposed to do to get it to rotate as one, instead of that mess that's going on in the picture.

Thanks.

PS: What is wrong with using the word "help" in the subject? >:/ That's what I need: help.

hello

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: RED5: Getting 3D Title Container text to rotate on the same axis
on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:43:13 pm

Hi Paul,

Are you using the Spin parameter from the Position tab of the Title Container to rotate the text? If so then all of the text should be rotating along the same plane.

Please feel free to send me the RED settings file if you are still having trouble with this and I'll take a look at it. My email is peterm@borisfx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Paul James Chatman
on Dec 7, 2011 at 4:09:48 pm

Yeah, I was. It appears it has something to do with the way the S was positioned in 3D space; when I bring it forward on the z-axis it does not move in front of the other words, but stays put and gets dimmer as it moves out of the light.

Here's the RED settings file: 3379_speakoutidletitle.red.zip

hello

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:50:37 pm

Is your container set to 2D Composite or 3DModel?

Return to posts index

Paul James Chatman
on Dec 8, 2011 at 9:29:40 am

2D Composite. When I selected 3D Model, the text disappeared.

hello

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:25:53 pm

That is kind of odd. I tried it using v3.0.4 and it disappeared AND gave me low memory warnings. Have you tried putting your text in a regular container and changing that to 3D? That's what I usually do.

Return to posts index

Paul James Chatman
Re: ED5: Getting 3D Title Container text to rotate on the same axis
on Dec 8, 2011 at 11:55:47 pm

This is how I created the title transition: I first created three Extruded Text tracks, each with a portion of the title. When I tried to spin the whole title after if reveals I realised I need it to be inside of a container. I then created a 3D Container track and placed the Extruded Text tracks within it. Then when I used the Spin Y rotator from the Position tab; the text spins but with the "S" spinning on an own axis independent from the "eak" and "out" tracks.

After it reveals I want it to spin around once really fast that shatter in rainbow colored particles.

Perhaps it's a workflow issue, maybe I am not creating the tracks/containers in the proper order. When I gewt home fromwork later I'll try creating the container first then add the Text tracks, and then convert them to Extruded using the track's Media button.

Paul

hello

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Dec 9, 2011 at 12:07:41 am

I think if you remove all of the animation from the individual tracks and only animate the container then everything will render as desired.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Paul James Chatman
on Dec 9, 2011 at 10:39:10 am

[peter mcauley] "I think if you remove all of the animation from the individual tracks and only animate the container then everything will render as desired."

Yeah but I want the text to animate on screen. :( I remember seeing this done (although not this explicitly) some where by John Rofrano - I'll keep looking for it. Thanks Pete for all your help.

hello

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:44:18 pm

Perhaps putting your elements into the container first before attempting any keyframe adjustments on them individually would work. Seems like a really odd problem.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]