BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

trouble with precomps

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
james corsolinitrouble with precomps
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:42:53 pm

I am animating a butterfly's wings. No problem there. But I can't figure out how to then bring that 2sec comp into another longer project so I can fly it around. This was straightforward in AE, but not so much in Boris. BTW, I'm using AvidFX with my Media Composer. I guess that's the same as Boris Red 4? Thanks!

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: trouble with precomps
by on Dec 6, 2011 at 9:37:58 pm

Hi,

You can use the Composition>Insert Composition command to do that.

I hope that helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

james corsoliniRe: trouble with precomps
by on Dec 7, 2011 at 2:57:42 pm

Peter,
I tried that. First off, I'm not sure how to save a composition. I can save a project. And when I do Composition>Insert Composition, I find the 2 sec project I saved and it inserts it into my longer project and stretches it out to the length of my longer project - ruining the timing of the animation, and providing me no way to use this as a looping precomp.
I know I must not be understanding something. Is there a tutorial that would help explain this?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:36:18 pm

Hi James,

Here's the workflow:

To save a project / composition:

• generate the project that you want to save
• select file>save project as
• provide a destination and a name
• click the save button

To insert a project / composition into another project / composition:

• start by creating or opening a project to which you want to add another composition
• go to the keyframe palette window
• enable the "keep keyframe time" option to preserve the original time of the composition
• disable the "keep keyframe time" option to stretch the inserted comp length to match the current comp
• select composition>insert composition
• select the comp that you wish to insert and click the open button

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:51:56 pm

Peter,
that helps a lot! Now, once I've inserted this 2s animation of butterfly flapping wings, into my longer animation. How do I get it to "loop" for the duration of the longer composition?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 9:24:55 pm

You can place the inserted composition tracks into a container, then copy and paste the container and shift the pasted versions in time along the timeline.

Or you could render out a movie file of the comp that you want to loop and then import this as a media item into the timeline. You can then click on the "face" sub-track of the imported movie and set the clip to loop by clicking on the "Loop Movie" checkbox in the control panel.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 7, 2011 at 10:55:28 pm

Peter,
Thanks for you reply. I have inserted the comp (inside a container) into the longer project. It looks like each iteration of the wing animation will have to be on its own track. Can't just put them on the same track back-to-back right? That could mean there would be LOTS of tracks with a longer project.
As far as rendering it out, then I loose the 3D aspect of it right? I need to fly it around and have it turn, etc.
-james

Return to posts index

Steve PankowRe: trouble with precomps
by on Dec 8, 2011 at 12:55:58 am

Turning on Loop should make the shorter clip match the duration of your comp. You could then just send an end keyframe wherever you want it to end.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 8, 2011 at 2:29:31 am

Steve,
Thanks for your reply. I don't see a way to "turn on loop". There is a filter call BCC Looper, not sure how that functions. AvidFX help is vague when it comes to explaining stuff. I thought I knew this program pretty well, but I feel pretty dumb right now.
I brought my laptop home and am using standalone mode.
Frustrating!

Return to posts index

by on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:17:32 pm

Look at your .mov track in your comp. Twirl down to the Face track. Your Control Window menu should be showing a tab called Movie Media. On this tab is the Loop area, with a checkbox for Loop Movie and a dropdown for how you want your movie to loop.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 8, 2011 at 7:35:58 pm

I do see the loop option like you say if I render the animation and then bring it in. The problem with that is that it is then no longer in the 3D world. I wanted to turn this and have 3D control of it while it flew.
I have settled for rendering a movie and then looping and flying it that way. I will assume then, that Boris just cannot do this.
Thanks for your responses and help, I have learned a lot with this!
-james

Return to posts index

by on Dec 8, 2011 at 9:09:02 pm

Now I understand what you're wanting. Any rendered movie that you bring back in is going to be 2D. If you want the original 3D object to be longer, why not just drag the end keyframe(s) out to wherever you need them to be?

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:27:48 pm

That was the point of my original question. I have a 38 frame animation of a butterfly's wings flapping. If I do what you say, I would have to replicate those frames over and over for the length of the project. 30 to 40 seconds. I have to believe there is a better way. But as this thread has proven, there must not be.
Thanks for taking the time to respond I do appreciate all the help.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:50:41 pm

How many keyframes are involved in the flap? Two? You could go Track>Generate Keyframes to auto-fill your timeline and then copy/paste the first and second keyframes to every other keyframe, or duplicate the "flap" track however many times you need and stagger them along the timeline. You'd then dump them all into a container and do your 3D manipulations at the container level.

Not an ideal solution in either case, but this isn't 3DS Max or AE we're talking about here. AFAIK this is the only way to pull it off in RED.

Return to posts index

by on Dec 9, 2011 at 6:17:44 pm

Thanks Steve.
I think Boris should aspire to be every bit as powerful as After Effects. It is there in many ways, still needs some work though.

Return to posts index

Marcus WarrenRe: trouble with precomps
by on Dec 20, 2011 at 11:54:05 pm

The butterfly project points our what I believe is a flaw in the direction of the web-based tutorials presented for RED by the BorisFX team. Most of the tutorials deal with how to apply cool filters to achieve certain efects but there is very little that actually deals with the nuts and bolts of operating RED.

I encourage the BorisFX team to also produce tutorials that show more of the intricacies of RED operation and workflow. RED is very deep and is capable of so much. We need more help in extracting its power.

Also it would be great if the Boris RED manual was fully up-to-date.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]