BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Basic Red titling question

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Carroll
Basic Red titling question
on Oct 10, 2011 at 4:56:44 am

Hi, I'm learning to use Avid FX, (Boris Red). I have created some neat effects, but I was trying the tutorial 'Title Effect Animations by Paul Ezzy', the 3rd effect, & I'm having a problem with the BCC 2d Particles Filter. When I apply the effect to my timeline, it effects the entire image, background & all, not just the 2 text lines that are on timelines directly below the filter. My timeline looks the same, (allowing for the fact that I'm using V4 & the tutorial is V5). What am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Basic Red titling question
on Oct 10, 2011 at 1:53:03 pm

Hi,

Try placing the title tracks and the particles filter into a 3D container track - this will prevent the particles filter from affecting anything that is outside of the container.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Alan Carroll
on Oct 11, 2011 at 12:46:29 am

Thank you for that. Came back to it thinking I should have selected both title tracks before applying the filter but that didn't do it. Container is the way to go, thanks again.

Return to posts index

Paul Ezzy
on Oct 11, 2011 at 1:50:55 pm

The tutorial did not show any background video, which is why you see a difference.

If there had been a video track underneath the titles, you would've seen the effects affect that too. As Peter said, it's only when placing selected tracks into a container (or precomposing them) that the effects are isolated to the titles. This was the last step in the tutorial.

-Paul E.

Return to posts index

Alan Carroll
on Oct 12, 2011 at 1:46:51 am

Yes I see that now, thank you.
I'll take this opportunity to express appreciation to those of you who make these tutorials. They're so useful for people like me starting out, showing how to navigate through the various effects, filters & parameters. After learning, I look back with embarrasment on some of the questions I asked along the way, but unfortunately it's an akwardness you have to live with if you want to learn.
I'll now apply myself to the Pixel Chooser. Looks like a great tool for manipulating an effect. (My on screen controls are different too of course.)
Thank you again.

Return to posts index

Paul Ezzy
on Oct 12, 2011 at 2:17:51 pm

Thanks Alan! And Pixel Chooser is an awesome tool...hope you enjoy it!

-Paul E.

Return to posts index

Alan Carroll
on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:11:11 pm

Sorry, another question. I went back into that effect to modify the postion of the gradient blur on the 2d particles & I don't have any on screen controls. I've looked at 'toggle onscreen controls' & the Windows pull down but can't get them to reappear. As soon as I touch the composite screen I select my bottom video layer. I used the onscreen controls to create the effect, what have I done with them?

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Oct 13, 2011 at 3:23:13 pm

You need to click on the Particles track in the timeline to make the controls visible in the Composite Window. If you click in the image outside of the control widget, you will cause RED to switch focus and the application will automatically select the video track instead.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Alan Carroll
on Oct 14, 2011 at 4:51:19 am

Thanks Peter, it was the Pyramid Blur Filter I was looking to modify, & that is what I had selected. The controls came back when, finally, in frustration, I gave up & went to the Gradient Start X parameter in the Controls window to try tweaking it manually that way, & as soon as I touched the slider, my blue circles came back on screen. Once again, 'now I know'. Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]