BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

RED 3.0.4 dying on font rebuild

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve PankowRED 3.0.4 dying on font rebuild
by on Oct 7, 2011 at 12:31:39 am

Added new fonts to the Windows font folder and wanted RED to rebuild my main font category. We're talking 1,890 fonts/225MB. Hitting the Rebuild Category button causes it to halt and choke on certain fonts. I removed each and attempted another Rebuild, but after awhile RED would simply crash out with neither a halt nor a warning.

Anyone know of a font compatibility problem or if RED cannot handle that many fonts?

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: RED 3.0.4 dying on font rebuild
by on Oct 7, 2011 at 1:27:33 pm

Wow ... that's a lot of fonts. Have you tried to see if the fonts display any problems in other applications, such as MS Word or Adobe Photoshop? It might be more of a system thing than something with RED.

Having said that, as far as I am aware, there are no theoretical limits as to the number of fonts that RED can handle. As long as the system can handle them then RED should be able to work with them too. It may be that there are some fonts which are corrupt and causing RED to have a corruption in it's font database - you might want to remove all of the newly added fonts and then just add them in groups, say 100 at a time, rebuilding the font database in RED after each font load.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve PankowRe: RED 3.0.4 dying on font rebuild
by on Oct 7, 2011 at 4:33:32 pm

I haven't checked specific fonts yet, but this PC also runs Avid Media Composer and Photoshop and they haven't been acting odd.

Two of the new fonts added were needed to properly open a .psd, but to my knowledge they aren't the ones causing RED to crash. I don't think it gets that far down the list before dying.

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: RED 3.0.4 dying on font rebuild
by on Oct 7, 2011 at 6:18:39 pm

Hmmm ... well at this stage I'd suggest contacting our support group to see if they can assist you in sorting out the issue as I don't think that it's something that I can help with. You can reach them via email at support@borisx.com.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]