BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Credit Rolls and Rendering Problems

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Bennett
Credit Rolls and Rendering Problems
on Oct 3, 2011 at 11:41:05 pm

Well, this is my first project in Boris Red: a credit roll. I used a tutorial actually for Graffiti that helped me get through it with lots of trial and error. But I finally got the first credit roll created (white text on black background. Then it took me a few hours to find out where you can actually render anything. But I finally found that. So I think I have everything figured out, but the render fails every time.

First issue: the timeline tells me my credit roll is 1 second long. The actual time needed to roll and read this should be about 20 seconds. The tutorial seems to indicate all I need to do is stretch out the rendered clip in my Vegas timeline. Is that a fact?

Second issue: OK, I finally found where the render button was buried. And it seems to only work once. You can't re-render. But when I attempt to render, I get an immediate error. Says "Quicktime export failed". No explanation.

So, what am I doing wrong? How do I get this credit roll into Vegas?

I'm working with Boris Red 5 standalone, WIN 7 64bit and Vegas Pro 10e is my editor.

HELP!

Thanks,

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures
Capturing Your Life's Adventures!

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Credit Rolls and Rendering Problems
on Oct 4, 2011 at 1:25:57 pm

Hi Ken,

• When Boris RED is used as a plug-in, ie, in Vegas, then the length of the composition in RED is determined by the length of the clip to which the plug-in was applied. If the clip in Vegas is 2 seconds long, then the timeline in the RED composition will be 2 seconds in duration. To change the length of the RED composition in this scenario, you must change the length of the clip in Vegas.

• When in Vegas there is no need for RED to render anything - it is all handled by the Vegas host render pipe.

• When using Boris RED in standalone mode, the length of the composition is set in the field marked Dur. in the RED timeline. Simply click in the field, enter the desired value and the composition timeline will be set to that value.

• There is no limit to the number of times that you can export a composition. ou can render and re-render, using a different name each time (RED will auto-increment the file name to prevent accidental overwrite or you can rename the file yourself before or after rendering)

• Here's a link to many free tutorials on our site that will explain how best to do a title roll in Boris RED.

I hope all of this helps!

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Oct 4, 2011 at 1:28:41 pm

Hello again Ken,

Almost forgot to include the link:

http://www.borisfx.com/aboutboris/search_results.php?cx=0167243028200212685...

To get this result, I went to the main site page at http://www.borisfx.com and typed "title roll" in the search field at the top left of the screen.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:43:09 pm

Thanks, Peter. I opted out of getting RED for Vegas as I think you get more with the standalone version... and it works with other NLEs.

The tutorial you mentioned is the one I used. Being a Boris virgin, I have lots to learn. That's why good tutorials are what I need for the tasks I need Boris RED to create.

So I've got the length/timing corrected but I still can't render. The error file just says, "Render Error: Quicktime export failed".

Why can't I get Boris to render? What am I doing wrong?

THX

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Oct 4, 2011 at 8:50:21 pm

Hey Ken,

Sounds like you're using the RED 64 version, which cannot render out to the Quicktime codec because Quicktime is not 64 bit. You have a couple of options though:

• select a different codec, one that is 64 bit on Windows, such as AVI.

or

• download and use the RED 32 bit version, which can render out to Quicktime codec. you can download the 32 bit version of Boris RED from our site at borisfx.com/downloads.

And just as an FYI, you should have had the option to install into Vegas, or other supported hosts, as well as having the standalone version on the same system.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Ken Bennett
on Oct 4, 2011 at 10:59:45 pm

Thanks again, Peter. I knew there must be a simple answer. AVI not QT for BFX RED in the 64bit world. And I do have RED installed as a Vegas FX option. Learning something new everyday.

Thanks again,

Ken Bennett
Video Adventures

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]