BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris Soundbite & linked FCP audio/video

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frederic Lumiere
Boris Soundbite & linked FCP audio/video
on Sep 13, 2011 at 8:32:26 pm

So I've been testing Boris Soundbite. A product that all documentary editors have been dreaming about for years. So far, the technology is very impressive. I yet have to find words or phrases I can't find on professionally recorded interviews!

Here's a snag I ran into however. We often shoot dual system (record audio separate from video) and use plural eyes to sync the audio with the video, link the clips together and drag them into a new 'synced' bin in FCP.

We then backup the FCP Project and remove all the rushes and audio recordings.

Soundbite finds the bites easily but in the wav files, not the movs which I didn't think was that big of an issue since I can do with no video preview in soundbite but when exporting FCP Markers, it places the markers on the wav timecode not the mov timecode which make them unusable.

Any idea how to reconcile this issue? Do I need to do something in FCP prior to indexing with soundbite?

Thanks again for a great beginning of a product that is sure to revolutionize our craft.

Oh, also, while I'm at it. Is it possible to export the whole text per clips with TC? A transcription essentially that could be imported in word to write a script?

Frederic

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index

Boris Yamnitsky
Re: Boris Soundbite & linked FCP audio/video
on Sep 19, 2011 at 8:49:19 am

thanks for sharing your experience. We'll look into the workflow you described and see what can be done to link separate audio file with video. In the meantime, I wonder if you could still use the audio from your camera recording, perhaps changing the Score popup to a lower threshold?

As far as transcribing the speech, Soundbite was not designed to do that.

Boris Yamnitsky
BorisFX

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:29:04 am

Thanks Boris,

I was hoping I didn't have to do that but it looks like it's the best option. Keep at least one track of audio from the camera to work with Soundbite.

Thanks again!

F

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index

Kip Watters
on Sep 19, 2011 at 2:50:39 pm

This should not be a problem (assuming Soundbite is successfully indexing the MOV files). A couple of points to consider:

-- First, are you actually creating a new sub-clip or clip - i.e., an indexable asset on disk -- or by "link the clips together", are you creating some form of virtual asset in the project that is not actually a media file on disk?

-- At what point are you adding the project to Soundbite? When it's added, are the MOV files present or just the WAV's? If the MOV files are added to the project after adding the project to Soundbite, it may need to be "refreshed". Once you save changes to a project, Soundbite will recognize that it is not in sync and notify you.

-- If the project contains a new physical media file that you'd like markers for and Soundbite doesnt appear to recognize that file, then the file itself could be a problem. Is the file encoded with anything proprietary that requires a special codec or is it simply a QT MOV file?

Return to posts index

Frederic Lumiere
on Sep 20, 2011 at 3:37:28 am

[Kip Watters] "This should not be a problem (assuming Soundbite is successfully indexing the MOV files). A couple of points to consider:

-- First, are you actually creating a new sub-clip or clip - i.e., an indexable asset on disk -- or by "link the clips together", are you creating some form of virtual asset in the project that is not actually a media file on disk?

Yes by definition FCP is non destructive and unless one uses Media Manager or does a manual export, the original files on the disk are untouched. Nevertheless, Soundbite is indexing the wav files in the project directly since the movs have been stripped of their original audio to link to the new audio.

-- At what point are you adding the project to Soundbite? When it's added, are the MOV files present or just the WAV's? If the MOV files are added to the project after adding the project to Soundbite, it may need to be "refreshed". Once you save changes to a project, Soundbite will recognize that it is not in sync and notify you.

I do the sound sync with plural eyes, delete the original audio from the mov, link the new audio and the video and drag the newly synced movs to a bin called 'synced'. In order to simplify things for Soundbite, I deleted all the other files from the project and only kept the useable synced movs which I plan to edit.

-- If the project contains a new physical media file that you'd like markers for and Soundbite doesnt appear to recognize that file, then the file itself could be a problem. Is the file encoded with anything proprietary that requires a special codec or is it simply a QT MOV file?"

Soundbite recognizes the wavs (which are linked to the movs) and places markers to the wavs but the timecode is off with the movs. Note: I didn't sync the wav timecode with the video during recording.

Frederic Lumiere
Producer
Lumiere Media

Return to posts index

Will Torbett
on Nov 28, 2011 at 6:41:04 pm

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but I've got a similar issue. The timecode Soundbite gives me when I do a search is not like time-of-day, from-the-camera timecode - it's just like playhead position (29 minutes into the clip, for example) which means that it all starts at 00 for each clip. Not helpful for going back and forth with FCP. Am I missing something here? A setting to keep an eye on? Otherwise, it's really aggravating to look for relative timecode when everything else is a little more absolute (if the makes sense).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]