BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials Motion Graphics After Effects

Best method for reducing image moire

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Pankow
Best method for reducing image moire
on Aug 30, 2011 at 5:09:40 pm

Pushing some very large .psd files around in Red and wondered what the most effective method for dealing with moire or ringing was? I figured Basic Blur at .10 would do well enough.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Best method for reducing image moire
on Aug 31, 2011 at 1:48:05 am

Hi Steve,

You might also try using the BCC Noise Reduction filter - it's brand new to RED 5.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Aug 31, 2011 at 4:32:47 pm

Yeah, there's no way my employer's going to spring for any more RED upgrades. Thanks though.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Koszarsky
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:43:19 pm

Have you tried the deflicker option under edit/project settings?

If you are moving the PSD around, try applying motion-blur.

Do your PSD files need to be as large as they are? I will sometimes scale them down in PhotoShop prior to using them in RED if I know I won't need that much resolution. It saves some render time and the results are usually better looking.

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Sep 8, 2011 at 4:18:01 pm

I used to use 1:2:1, but now I think it softens images and graphics too much for my tastes.

Motion blur really jacks up the render times, but I suppose any blur filtering will do that.

As far as large files goes, I'd prefer to just load it and go - not sure that many AE folks bother with resizing unless the files are absolutely huge and they're working with an old system or something.

Return to posts index

Jaeson Koszarsky
on Sep 8, 2011 at 4:45:05 pm

When using deflickering, I often use it on its own RED layer/project. I then apply logos/text/other in another non-deflicker layer/project above that. You're right about deflickering making some things too fuzzy.

It'd be helpful if BorisFX would include an on/off option for deflicker on individual layers within a single project in some future update of RED. Motion Blur can be turned on/off for individual layers.

Resizing the large PSD in PhotoShop often yields better results than rescaling in RED and by reducing that image data that needs processed, you speed up your renders.

You can also apply pre-blurring in PS to regions of the image that are particularly troublesome.

Have you tried the smooth-tone filter? I might give it a go the next time a situation calls for it.

Jaeson

Return to posts index

Steve Pankow
on Sep 8, 2011 at 5:30:14 pm

I'm on version 3, so no smooth-tone for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]