BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

Boris RED 5 pre-comps

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaeson KoszarskyBoris RED 5 pre-comps
by on Jul 5, 2011 at 6:50:55 pm

We just upgraded to Media100 Suite2 and BorisRED5.

In RED4, I would often load a logo, add a 2nd layer with an animated highlight MOV file with alpha channel masked by a copy of the logo, then stuff it in a precomp container to reposition, resize, etc. Something like this

PreComp:
1)Highlight Layer
Masked with Logo
Straight Alpha
Loop turned on
2)Logo Layer
PSD with Straight Alpha

In RED5, I set up the same thing but I'm not seeing my highlight layer when I resize & reposition. It does appear correctly if I don't move & resize the precomp. This is how a 3D container in RED4 behaved.

Suggestions? Thanks.
Jaeson

Return to posts index

peter mcauleyRe: Boris RED 5 pre-comps
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 1:53:21 pm

Hi Jaeson,

Can you try disabling OpenGL previews to see if that helps? You can do this by going to:

Preview: OpenGL Mode: Off

You might also try setting the display to High Quality if it is set to Low Quality. You can do that by clicking on the quality icon in the comp window and selecting High from the pop-up.

I hope this helps.

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: Boris RED 5 pre-comps
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 2:52:46 pm

I did turn OpenGL off and have the preview quality HIGH and preview resolution FULL.

It's not just affecting the previews in RED though. When I return to Media100 Suite and render, I get the same thing that I see (or don't see) when in RED.

I experimented with various sizes and positions. It seems like masks aren't sticking correctly when the precomp is altered in RED5. This is how 3D containers in RED4/5 work too. I liked to use precomp containers in RED4 to treat everything like a single unified object. I'd actually prefer both types of containers to act as if everything inside was one object.

Jaeson

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:03:24 pm

Hi Jaeson,

Can you please send us a RED settings file that demonstrates this issue? Having this would assist us in reproducing the issue in our labs. You can send that to us via email at this address: support@borisfx.com. Please cc me (peterm@borisfx.com) on the message.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Jaeson KoszarskyRe: Boris RED 5 pre-comps
by on Jul 6, 2011 at 3:55:21 pm

Do you want a "consolidated project"? Or will just a .RED project file suffice?

Jaeson

Return to posts index

by on Jul 6, 2011 at 4:34:15 pm

A .RED project would be just fine.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]