BORIS FX: Boris FX Forum Boris FX Tutorials After Effects Motion Graphics

3d text not attaching to null

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Morris
3d text not attaching to null
on Jun 29, 2011 at 6:02:29 pm

I need the 3d text to spin with the laser beams. The laser beams are attached to a null and spin correctly.
2d text in 3d space will attach to the null and spin with no problem.
But ideally, I'd like some extrusion and have the text warped in 3d pace to match the circular paths.

More details:
I have this 3D environment with an animated cam move.
The 3 laser beams are supposed to be branches of a company (education, growth, wealth).
I need them all to be spinning in the environment. The laser beams are 2d solids laid out in 3d space (anchor points are at the tops).
There is a null at the top used to spin everything together. So the laser beams all spin at once, correctly.
The 3d text is made with Boris Continuum's Extruded Text plugin on a solid layer. I can't seem to find a way to correctly move the text on a 3d path matching the main null.
2d text in 3d space will attach to the null and spin with no problem. But ideally, I'd like some extrusion and have the text warped in 3d pace to match the circular paths.

Brandon Morris
http://www.brandonmorris.com

Canon T2i
13" Macbook Pro (Mid 09) 8GB RAM 10.6

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: 3d text not attaching to null
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:06:57 pm

Hi Brandon,

The effect that you have in mind may be possible but it's a lot of work to make it happen using BCC 3D Objects in After Effects. There are basically two problems to solve here:

1. How do we make the text spin in tandem with the other objects that are parented to a null

• in the BCC filter set the camera model to orbit
• add an expression to the orbit spin parameter
• pick whip the orbit spin parameter to the null spin

this will make the spin of the text match that of the null

• in the BCC filter, in the transforms group, modify the Position Z parameter value so that the text pivot fits the scene

2. How do we make multiple instances of the BCC Extruded Text filter appear in the same comp so that as they spin, they correctly appear behind or on front of each other in z space

• use the split layer command and then keyframe the opacity of the layers - it's a bit of work but that's the only way to do it

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:54:27 pm

Thanks for the response.
What's the split layer command?
How will using the plugin's camera instead of comp camera affect the objects?
I have the comp camera moving in the space, nothing crazy, a little job move around the front of the scene. But I set the BCC plugin to comp camera so it was in the correct position. Will it still be okay when I change it to the plugin's cam since it'll be attached to the null?

Brandon Morris

Canon T2i

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:59:54 pm

What's the split layer command?

• It's in After Effects - it duplicates the layer and creates in and out points at the split.

How will using the plugin's camera instead of comp camera affect the objects?

* I'm not sure what you mean by that.

I have the comp camera moving in the space, nothing crazy, a little job move around the front of the scene. But I set the BCC plugin to comp camera so it was in the correct position. Will it still be okay when I change it to the plugin's cam since it'll be attached to the null?

• Now this is more information that you originally offered. You didn't mention that you were animating the scene camera in your original post - and it makes a difference in your approach. Why don't you send us a copy of your comp and we'll take a look at it. You can send that to us at support@borisfx.com - you might want to use an FTP transfer application such as yousendit to pass that to us as there is a low limit on the size of attachments for email.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:54:10 pm

"I have this 3D environment with an animated cam move"
I kind of mentioned a camera movement within the scene, thats why I thought your solution seemed TOO easy, haha.
I will email the AE file, I have the unimportant layers turned off.

Brandon Morris

Canon T2i

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:20:40 pm

Did you receive my file? Any news?

Brandon Morris

Canon T2i

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:38:11 pm

Hi Brandon,

No - nothing has come through from you. Did you send them to peterm@borisfx.com? You might want to try using yousendit free ftp service. We have found it to be very reliable and quick.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:17:00 pm

I just sent it again to that email.

Please confirm if you get the file, should be only 291KB.
Any help would be appreciated.
There are a few other plugins used like Video Copilot Optical Flares.
There is a comp camera, null for controlling camera, and a null for spinning the lasers and words.
If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Brandon Morris

Canon T2i

Return to posts index

Brandon Morris
on Jul 22, 2011 at 7:37:35 pm

Any word on project?

Brandon Morris

Canon T2i